DMF or Release Bearing ?

Cornish_Lad

My 65 plate, 2ltr TDi Yeti has started to display a horrible ‘rattle’ when bringing the clutch up to the biting point. 

It drives fine, doesn’t slip, and has just completed a 600 mile round trip in 1 day without any problems whatsoever. 

if it is DMF, then what other symptoms should I be watching for ?

There seems to be a common fault sharing at this type of mileage by all accounts, with some naming it the Sachs Issue 🙁 

That's what mine did at 97k, I booked it in straight away and replaced the lot, just as well since even though it didnt sound to bad  it was on its last legs and could have broken up at any time.

Edited by idleness

Hi

A failed release bearing tends to make a hissing/scraping noise as soon as it touches the diaphragm spring fingers, i.e. as the clutch is depressed.  A failed DMF tends to make a rattling noise as the drive is taken up, i.e. as the clutch is released.  On balance, I would say the noise is more likely to be the DMF. 

As you no doubt already know, given the labour cost of gearbox removal and replacement, it's usual to routinely replace the clutch pressure plate, friction plate and release bearing once it's apart.  Unless the DMF can be proved innocent, I would be inclined to replace that too.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update - the noise was getting worse, so car was booked into my friendly local independent VW garage.

Initial quote was for £1000 (worst case scenario), but on the day I had a text from the garage says it was reduced to £699 :)

He also sent me a picture and video of the offending part, and it was a Sachs DMF that had failed 😞

Apart from a piece of metal that was breaking away from the DMF, it was also very loose, and rocking from side to side.

Now have a LSUK clutch and flywheel kit installed, and my Yeti is so much 
quieter, smoother and runs like the proverbial dream :)

Hopefully that's the end of my garage bills, as I've spent almost £1000 since taking ownership 9 months ago, with new clutch, new rear wheel sensor & associated bits, plus a new battery.

48 minutes ago, Cornish_Lad said:

Hopefully that's the end of my garage bills, as I've spent almost £1000 since taking ownership 9 months ago, with new clutch, new rear wheel sensor & associated bits, plus a new battery.

Sadly nobody sells a faultless car

That was a good price but what was the other part deemed not required that they would also have fitted for the £1K worst case estimate?

How many miles had your vehicle done?

I have the same engine, I replaced the DMF at about 90k, it was only when I had it remapped and it would pull much higher revs to develop the power that I could hear the harshness of the failed DMF, it sounded like the diesel knocking that the tractor pulling engines make before they explode!!!

You may be perfectly happy with the 105hp and narrow power band but mine was a liability for mid range overtaking and towing heavy trailers, I had it remapped and it transformed the vehicle, i mention it because I see you are in Cornwall and it was a Celtic tuning remap I had, they are in Newquay and I would recommend them.

Due to covid travel restrictions mine was done at a local dealer in Surrey, had I taken it to Celtic they would have rolled back the emissions fix during the programming for no charge.

I had a flying visit to Cornwall Friday for a funeral, I dropped in unnanounced at 11am and said that I had 90 minutes spare before I had to leave for a funeral and they were very accomodating, and they removed the VAG emissions fix, they charged me for it but I wasn't going to try negotiating as I was so pleased that they went out of their way for me.

Edited by J.R.

Hi J.R.

My Yeti had done 66,000 miles - and my mechanic said he was surprised it lasted that long .... 

As for a re-map - I have been considering it, local garage are offering a Quantum ECU Remap for £200 + vat - which will take my 109bhp upto 140bhp .... which will be more than enough for me.  I don't tow, so don't need much more.  As for the VAG emissions fix, I don't believe my Yeti requires it - I checked with the local main dealer and also an online checker @ https://skoda-recallactions.skoda-auto.com/en-gb (with VIN) also confirmed it wasn't one of the affected models.

Screenshot 2022-05-08 at 09.58.53.png

Are you sure that does not mean that it has already been done?

My car is the same year, same engine, same power, engine code is in my profile CFHC or something.

How often does your DPF regenerate? That is the big difference between emission fixed and rolled back or never done.

Is yours EU5 or EU6? Adblue or not?

Edited by J.R.

3 hours ago, Cornish_Lad said:

As for the VAG emissions fix, I don't believe my Yeti requires it

Does your Yeti have AdBlue, if yes it is not affected if no it has already been done.

• Like 1