Towbar fitting help - help urgently please, can't get westfalia piggy back slotted into back of fusebox

help urgently please, can't get westfalia pinout cables piggy back slotted into back of fusebox

They are tight as hell to push in and won't just push in even, wondering if they actually have something needing removing from them or ideally a special tool to push them firmly in from rear.

They do seem to be caged in a surround but presuming this ( with springs) is part of the fitting.

Also I don't have existing fuses at F28 and F38, should there be fuses in front of the fusebox as well as in the accessory fusebox ? It only came with 3 fuses already in the accessory one.

I will donate £10 in beer funds to anyone who can give me successful advice please, otherwise I'm seeking an auto electrician to complete it annoyingly !

Still got the BCM to do yet also ! This sucks, it went reasonably well to this point, mousing the cables and plastics removed carefully etc.

22 minutes ago, vRSAnt said:

help urgently please, can't get westfalia pinout cables piggy back slotted into back of fusebox

They are tight as hell to push in and won't just push in even, wondering if they actually have something needing removing from them or ideally a special tool to push them firmly in from rear.

They do seem to be caged in a surround but presuming this ( with springs) is part of the fitting.

Also I don't have existing fuses at F28 and F38, should there be fuses in front of the fusebox as well as in the accessory fusebox ? It only came with 3 fuses already in the accessory one.

I will donate £10 in beer funds to anyone who can give me successful advice please, otherwise I'm seeking an auto electrician to complete it annoyingly !

Still got the BCM to do yet also ! This sucks, it went reasonably well to this point, mousing the cables and plastics removed carefully etc.

Im guessing you mean you are struggling to push the pins into the correct locations?

From memory when i did mine it was just fiddly, but with the instructions supplied and a great help on here it all worked out.

I will try and find the guides.

Kev

• Like 1

Thank you so much.
They are just so tight, they are not push fit or even with force down with a screwdriver
Its the pre-cabled extra fuse holder (6r0937530A)

Its the bit where you Clip snap tail wires into additional fuse box rear....they just are so tight they don't want to push in !

I got one about 3/4 down and just not fully seating.

and the other only just in or half way so I got it back out again before trying to force any further. 

IMG_20220420_192430_035.jpg

IMG_20220420_192327_653.jpg

All sorted, a 2013/2014 car confusion lol.

In case anyone is ever wondering, the 2013 car ( up to around June) dont need the extra fuse harness but the 2014 cars do.....

They appear to have a totally different fusebox layout....I find reading these "instructions" difficult at best, what happened to written instruction.....

On my car ( for 13 socket lectrics) you need F28, 38 and 44 and pair the loom DIRECT.
DO NOT follow OCTAVIA-MK3-REMOVABLE-TOWBAR-FITTING-IMG-v1.0.pdf as this is seemingly for 2014 fuseboxes I was kind of getting in limbo between the guides and following that and should have stopped and focussed on original guide from scratch.

This explains the differences better, you don't pair them into the fusebox which is the mistake I made and now have to remove them lol.
I couldn't plug in those other wires as they are really meant for D122 / J126 for later 2014 on cars. I think the 3 tails I plugged into the fusebox extra, probably fit easily into the 2013 fusebox.

Many thanks to Dezmonde who refused any repartiation for his time, though I felt so glad to be helped I would have happily done so.

Untitled.png

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, vRSAnt said:

All sorted, a 2013/2014 car confusion lol.

In case anyone is ever wondering, the 2013 car ( up to around June) dont need the extra fuse harness but the 2014 cars do.....

They appear to have a totally different fusebox layout....I find reading these "instructions" difficult at best, what happened to written instruction.....

On my car ( for 13 socket lectrics) you need F28, 38 and 44 and pair the loom DIRECT.
DO NOT follow OCTAVIA-MK3-REMOVABLE-TOWBAR-FITTING-IMG-v1.0.pdf as this is seemingly for 2014 fuseboxes I was kind of getting in limbo between the guides and following that and should have stopped and focussed on original guide from scratch.

This explains the differences better, you don't pair them into the fusebox which is the mistake I made and now have to remove them lol.
I couldn't plug in those other wires as they are really meant for D122 / J126 for later 2014 on cars. I think the 3 tails I plugged into the fusebox extra, probably fit easily into the 2013 fusebox.

Many thanks to Dezmonde who refused any repartiation for his time, though I felt so glad to be helped I would have happily done so.

Untitled.png

Glad you got there in the end 👍

• Thanks 1

Those 3 wires just snapped in the right place now :D

I just have to do the BCM and the actual towbar fitting and cable routing but hopefully now thats the less critical part for me.

BCM was sorted.

Going at this slowly like a 50 year old. Oh well, I'm nearly 50 perhaps is why.

I have the plastic bumper off after lights ( came off carefully/easy) but for superficially the 2 bolts at front for the towbar fitting because unlike the instructions more delay - the bloody exhaust and heatshielding is in the way ??

May have to drop the silencers out the way so that's fun.

1 hour ago, vRSAnt said:

BCM was sorted.

Going at this slowly like a 50 year old. Oh well, I'm nearly 50 perhaps is why.

I have the plastic bumper off after lights ( came off carefully/easy) but for superficially the 2 bolts at front for the towbar fitting because unlike the instructions more delay - the bloody exhaust and heatshielding is in the way ??

May have to drop the silencers out the way so that's fun.

If diesel? You can drop the exhaust from the rubber hangar, then there is enough clearance with a long extension bar.

When you come to find the holes, they are covered in little squares in the underbody protection.

Petrol so both sides fun on the rear holes :D
I can get through underbody ok thanks that is fine, its just getting access to those rear ones....given up for today will be for the rest of the weekend to finish it off, nearly there, plastics off for the bumper cut.

(There are SOME holes right at the back, but this towbar isn't long enough to reach them so yeah, succumbing to exhaust fun I guess)

Not sure how the heat shield can be dropped itself, it has some rubbish metal grommet things but also some extra plastic steps preventing that moving

Not sure the best leverage to get the back boxes off rubber hanger itself too probably comes to brute force I've given up with for now, presume I could lubricate the rubber hangar itself in fairy or something and try and push it off the mount/exhaust  might work

• Haha 1

Actually its easish to drop the exhaust back box but needs a bit of fairy....also the shield retainer with stupid plastic locks, just push them out the way and try and spin it down with pliers or driver.

Just after all the hassle on the electric side was hoping it would be easier :D

I can see the back slot clearly through one on one side now - all good.

• 3 weeks later...

Towbar working. not fully tested but get lights and brake lights so its module is  def working.

ODB11 seems to have enabled ok.
The 2013 continued to throw some "ODB11" coding oddities also though. on the car electrics module 1 or whatever, had to search for the byte was different from 1, about 5 or so down
German for towbar is "Anhängerkupplung" so long coding word starts like that in one of the modules......I think maybe vcds may have been easier/ better translation lol

here is my addendum / review for 2013 cars on video if useful to others:

another just talking about BCM

Another zooming into the exact wiring

Towbar working. not fully tested but get lights and brake lights so its module is  def working.

ODB11 seems to have enabled ok.
The 2013 continued to throw some "ODB11" coding oddities also though. on the car electrics module 1 or whatever, had to search for the byte was different from 1, about 5 or so down
German for towbar is "Anhängerkupplung" so long coding word starts like that in one of the modules......I think maybe vcds may have been easier/ better translation lol

here is my addendum / review for 2013 cars on video if useful to others:

another just talking about BCM

Another zooming into the exact wiring

useful other videos from others

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2truGm1lL_Y