Engine won’t turn over

Leofwen

2019 Karoq 4x4 edition.  After a 50 mile drive, and stopping the car for about half an hour, the engine wouldn’t turn over, and indicated low battery even though headlights we’re ok. Gave confusing and multiple error messages including keyless system and parking brake not working. Next morning started ok as normal. This has now happened three times in two days. Advice anyone..

thanks Leofwen

Check to see if the headlights dim when you crank the engine under normal circumstances and also when its playing up.

You should carry a multimeter and frequently monitor the battery resting and charging voltage, I have an LCD voltmeter installed for just that reason.

It sounds like your car has the crock of shoîte eco battery management system that is either playing up or the battery is failing and needs a full charge which it is never going to get, I would disable the system (disconnect sensing lead) and then see how the battery performs before deciding whether to replace it and reinstate the system.

Surely if it isa faulty battery, it wouldn’t start after it had failed. How would the battery acquire the energy boost? What is the battery management system and can it be checked?

I have a similar car,SEL 2018 model and last year the dealer at service time spoted the battery was faulty ( I had not noticed a problem ) and replaced it under warranty.

Worth asking about it?

There was a period of time when a lot of batteries were faulty from new. They never held a full charge. This affected Skoda, VW Audi Seat etc as all used the same. Some, like mine had to be changed within a week of delivering the car. Others held slightly more charge and didn’t reveal the fault for some time. Cars left standing unsold in 2020 due to Covid for several months was also an issue as if the battery goes completely flat and is left flat for a time it will not recover.

Edited by kenfowler3966