Weird sound on accelerating

Hi

Just in the past 2 weeks I've started to get a weird sound when accelerating. It normally occurs when I cruise round a roundabout then accelerate slowly, normally it's around 40km/h i can start to here the noise. 

I've taken it to a mechanic and we took a test drive but nothing could be heard and I was told that he can't do anything if he can't hear the problem.

A few days ago I started to audio record my trips to work and manage to capture the noise a few times. I've attached the clip where you can hear it best. 

What do you think is the issue and maybe when I go back to the mechanics next week with the audio file I can give him suggestions on where to look. 

It is really strange as at the beginning of this month I got the wheels changed from winter to summer tires then straight after that appointment I went for a besiktning (Swedish for MOT in uk) on the car which passed without any issues. I did ask the mechanic to make sure everything with the wheels was fine when I went the other week but everything was good and he said the wheel screws were tight. So I'm thinking they done something at the besiktning but I'm not sure what as it's just an inspection of the car and they shouldn't have to touch anything. 

And another weird thing is that my new car warranty just ran out about a month ago 😕

If this is relevant its a DSG 110. Not knowledgeable on cars so any more information you need just ask. 

James

CutAudio_30042022_104433.mp3 CutAudio_30042022_105353.mp3

Edited by jamos316

Which noise, at what point(s) in the recordings?

It could be so many things, the test and change of tyres might just be coincidences.

Has anything changed or been altered under the car, any clips loose or missing, any changes to the front of the car anything added, removed, broken, anything added, removed or broken from the roof, anything added, removed or broken from the side(s), anything added, removed or broken on the rear of the car.

If you hear it when going on a roundabout does it make the sound when going on bends or turns in the same direction and speed?

If you really feel it might relate to the tyre change you could try (if possible) swap front left with front right or front to rear to see if the sound goes or changes.

My wife's Fabia seems to regularly make different strange noises, mainly from the engine bay, I've given up wondering about them.

28 minutes ago, nta16 said:

Which noise, at what point(s) in the recordings?

It could be so many things, the test and change of tyres might just be coincidences.

Has anything changed or been altered under the car, any clips loose or missing, any changes to the front of the car anything added, removed, broken, anything added, removed or broken from the roof, anything added, removed or broken from the side(s), anything added, removed or broken on the rear of the car.

If you hear it when going on a roundabout does it make the sound when going on bends or turns in the same direction and speed?

If you really feel it might relate to the tyre change you could try (if possible) swap front left with front right or front to rear to see if the sound goes or changes.

My wife's Fabia seems to regularly make different strange noises, mainly from the engine bay, I've given up wondering about them.

If you listen to the clips I cut it down to the part where it makes the sound. Only seconds long. 

I said that it mostly occurs after cruising round a roundabout then accelerating on a straight but so far it's never made the noise when going around the roundabout. 

4 hours ago, jamos316 said:

If you listen to the clips I cut it down to the part where it makes the sound. Only seconds long. 

James the first clip is 103 seconds long at about 14 seconds it sounds like there might be an exhaust shield type rattle, the second clip is 29 seconds, the whines I hear could be tyre or wind roar, mechanical from the engine or something like wheel bearing.  The summer tyres could be cold.  Nothing sounds that bad to me as TOTALLY a non-mechanic or expert in anything.  These are mass-produced VW cars, don't fall for the old "German engineering quality" being that high, not that it was always that good, these cars like most are built down to a price they're not the likes of Toyota or Honda.

Some others might immediately identify a sound that's an issue but sorry it's not me.

4 hours ago, jamos316 said:

I said that it mostly occurs after cruising round a roundabout then accelerating on a straight but so far it's never made the noise when going around the roundabout. 

Sorry I misunderstood.

50 minutes ago, nta16 said:

James the first clip is 103 seconds long at about 14 seconds it sounds like there might be an exhaust shield type rattle, the second clip is 29 seconds, the whines I hear could be tyre or wind roar, mechanical from the engine or something like wheel bearing.  The summer tyres could be cold.  Nothing sounds that bad to me as TOTALLY a non-mechanic or expert in anything.  These are mass-produced VW cars, don't fall for the old "German engineering quality" being that high, not that it was always that good, these cars like most are built down to a price they're not the likes of Toyota or Honda.

Some others might immediately identify a sound that's an issue but sorry it's not me.

Sorry I misunderstood.

OK thanks for the input. 

I'm certain that there is a problem of some kind as for 3 years no issues then as I say I changed tires and also had a besiktning then suddenly I have this issue. 

James 

1 hour ago, jamos316 said:

I'm certain that there is a problem of some kind as for 3 years no issues then as I say I changed tires and also had a besiktning then suddenly I have this issue. 

So as I put I would start with the tyres, changing the wheel positions, costs nothing but a bit of time and effort if you do it yourself.

Also have look under the car to see if any clips are loose or missing from the undertray or something silly like a stick stuck under there.  I have an intermittent whistle on my car (not my wife's Fabia that has loads of odd noises) I think it might be from the front antiroll bar but as it is intermittent it is hard to tell, might be the windscreen instead, it annoys me for a while then I get distracted by something else and forget about it until the next time.  My neighbour videoed my car for his YT channel and on the audio I can hear the whistle but he says he can't, clear as a bell to me.

Edited by nta16

When you say you changed the tyres from Winter to Summer tyres, were they new tyres or tyres you used last Summer?

7 minutes ago, TerFar said:

When you say you changed the tyres from Winter to Summer tyres, were they new tyres or tyres you used last Summer?

They came with the car 3 years ago 

That makes me strongly suspect the tyres. If the wheels have been replaced in different locations, the different tyre wear to the tred patterns may be causing the noises. Some tyres are reknowned for this, but I cannot remember which make are susceptible. 

Do / did you put the summer tyres back in the same place they came from?

Are they an asymmetrical tread pattern?

Thanks, AG Falco

Edited by AGFalco
simmer summer typo

Just now, AGFalco said:

Do / did you put the simmer tyres back in the same place they came from?

Are they an asymmetrical tread pattern?

Thanks, AG Falco

I leave it up to the mechanics. We do a tyre change with them twice a year ever since we bought the car and we also pay for them to store the tyres and clean them. 

Presumably before they take them off the car they would mark each one with their placement 

22 minutes ago, jamos316 said:

Presumably before they take them off the car they would mark each one with their placement 

It might be different in Sweden but in the UK you can presume nothing with mechanics, garages/Dealerships.  A good one will tell you what they do and provide evidence, others might say they do something if you ask them but might not do it even if they provide evidence that they have.

It depends on the tyres and if it includes a full size spare as to how they are rotated or perhaps how much fuss is made of the rotation  order.  Some vehicles have different tyre pressures front to rear, not MK3 Fabias AFAIK (but I could be wrong as I often am).

You could have a look at the tread wear across the full width of each tyre and measure across the full width at three different points on the  circumference of the tyre to check for even wear and any budges or bits missing, check the sidewalls for budges too (not so easy with the inside sidewalls).  Also have a look at the wheels for any damage or signs of buckling, easiest is to have the wheel off the ground and spin it  whilst looking at the edge or just put a straight edge across as much as you can.

Failing that take some high resolution photos of the wheels and tyre sidewalls and full width of tread and then you can zoom in on photos for more detail or post them up here.  Might show something or might not but with these camera phones it's all quick and easy to do, or so I'm told, though I would view on a much larger screen.

ETA: Three suspecting the tyres so it might help to at least eliminate them from the possibilities even if they turn out not to be the cause.  As I loathe anything but driving cars I always start at the simplest and easiest possible culprit and solution especially if it means keeping my hands clean and not too much effort.

Edited by nta16