DSG gearboxes reliability

Hi guys now I've been driving manuals for the last 40 years but I want to make a shift to to automatic gearboxes obviously a gearbox I'm thinking about is called a DSG now is the DSG in the vRS (((mechanically the same as the one in the 1.5 Octavia )))))))or are there two Pacific gearboxes depending on the power requirement of the engine so basically you have your basic grocery getter and then you have your little sportia car or am I getting his completely wrong or is there just automatic gearbox throughout the whole  VW Audi Skoda seat family and are these pretty reliable if you pick up up a model that has not done a lot of miles obviously servicing is a matter that would have to be done at the proper time I'm always been afraid of auto boxes but I thought I'd get your guys input because I am getting a lot older now and do not need to race around like I used to 2

The dsg boxes are generally reliable but do need oil changes. Usually around 40k miles but this can vary. The box on the 1.5 (dq200) is specific to lower torque cars (1.0, 1.2, 1.4, 1.5 and 1.8 TSI's and 1.6 TDI). It has a dry clutch setup and the manufacturers say is sealed for life. Although some on here have had it serviced successfully.

The box on a lot of the 2.0 cars (dq250)(diesel or petrol) is a wet clutch setup and is known for its reliability and strength. Newer boxes are similar in robustness to the 250 but with improved shifting and sometimes more gears. They also can handle more load and often used in higher power applications.

Basically if looking at one make sure it has been serviced to the correct regime and you should be good.

• Like 3

As @MarkyG82 says the vRS , whether diesel or petrol, has the same wet clutch DSG. It used to be 6 speed but later versions are 7-speed. They do require a fluid change but not sure of the intervals (40k km?) and it is not cheap.

Very robust though.

Others can provide more specific details.

40,000 mile interval for those requiring that.   There are also DQ381 that are 80,000 mile intervals.   UK main dealer price might well be £215.  It could be cheaper and could be more.     Those with a DQ200 being given a price for an oil change need to ask the receptionist to go speed with someone that knows about cars. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/05/2022 at 21:04, Diljit said:

Hi guys now I've been driving manuals for the last 40 years but I want to make a shift to to automatic gearboxes obviously a gearbox I'm thinking about is called a DSG now is the DSG in the vRS (((mechanically the same as the one in the 1.5 Octavia )))))))or are there two Pacific gearboxes depending on the power requirement of the engine so basically you have your basic grocery getter and then you have your little sportia car or am I getting his completely wrong or is there just automatic gearbox throughout the whole  VW Audi Skoda seat family and are these pretty reliable if you pick up up a model that has not done a lot of miles obviously servicing is a matter that would have to be done at the proper time I'm always been afraid of auto boxes but I thought I'd get your guys input because I am getting a lot older now and do not need to race around like I used to 2

The post 2014 UK spec DQ200 7 speed dry box on the lower powered <150bhp are pretty bullet proof TBH, I tuned my old 1.4tsi to plus 200bhp & 320Nm, drove it like I'd just stole it & had no problems in 42k miles.

Such a better driving experience the DSG