3% Hp increase: cheap

I found this articke at Grassroots motorsports mag

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/032005/stock-tips-even-in-stock-class-there-are-ways-to-get-an-edge-on-the-competition.php#more-80

They tested hig perf ignition wires and found out am up to 3% inclrease in Hp. This might not be much, but for arround 50 quid, it might be worth it.

I would reason the gain would be better on modiffied engines, but the gain depends on the quality of the original cables.

Any comments?

£50 is less than it would cost you for a replacement set of OEM ignition leads. I have spent quite a bit in the past on supposedly superior ignition leads without noticing much if any difference from the standard leads except when the latter were showing obvious signs of wear and tear. I would be very sceptical of getting any noticeable power increase on a 'standard' engine.

I always treat all claims involving the words 'up to' with great suspicion. :rubchin:

I think it's more true for older engines and older cars - if you've got a car with early fuel injection or running on carbs, the original ignition system can be pretty poor and can benefit from uprated aftermarket leads, but usually in conjuction with lumenition igntion or an Aldon Ignitor and uprated dizzy coil. Not really relevant on a lot of new cars.

Hi

I wonder if the improvement is a result of aftermarket wires having either a lower impedance (for both surpressed and non surpressed leads) or an air gap, a trick I used to use to up the spark intensity.

Of course the other aspect is as others said above, the old leads could be knackered.

Chris

And then there's the fact that diesels don't need super quality spark wires... After all, you only need to warm up the candles before start. So, if I've understood engine technology correctly - improved wires are pretty much useless on diesels.