Panoramic roof issues

Hi All,

Proud owner of a 2011 Superb estate 2.0 D 170 Elegance in amethyst. Looking for advice. 

The panoramic sunroof stuck open (at an angle) last year and after trying lots of things including brute strength (of which I have very little) I ended up having to take it to the main dealer who charged me a fortune and basically forced it shut, but not enough to be sealed. They said the mechanism was seized and that was the best they could do. Aside from charge me about £4,000 for a complete new sunroof.

Has anyone else had this type of issue and have any tips? Can it be un-seized? Are replacement mechanisms available? The glass is fine. 

I’ve spent the last 12 months with duct tape sealing the sunroof and I reckon it’s about time to tidy things up a bit. 

Thanks

Hi. Yes I tried to turn the manual override with a wrench. It was about a year ago I tried that so my memories are dim. I remember not wanting to force it. The dealer also spent half a day trying to figure it out. They told me they forced it closed I suspect with the manual override probably with long bar but I didn’t want to risk breaking the glass when I tried it.  

Their conclusion was that it is seized. They lubricated it and still couldn’t get it to move. 

It is closed now but not sealed properly. Apart from the tape I’ve put on. 

From memory, the motor did try to operate but just gave up when it met too much resistance. It would move slightly. The other thing to note, is that when it initially got stuck, it was at a slight angle. The RHS about an inch higher than the LHS. I think this fits with the idea that the mechanism is stuck. 

• Like 1

Hi Oblong. I had a similar issue (stopped working but in a closed position). It was the sunroof motor (situated above courtesy light and sunroof open/close panel).  Bought a working used unit off eBay and took an hour or so to fit. Job done. Thankfully, actual slider mechanism/chassis frame was not seized…. 

• Like 1

Could be worth removing the motor and seeing if the manual winder works then? After that you're probably going to have to remove the whole roof mechanism and go through it bit by bit to see what the problem might be. If you're mechanically inclined you should be able to track down the problem with a bit of time and patience.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I had a similar issue with my pan sunroof ,managed to get it closed . I had a couple of inches of water in all footwells , checked drainage outlets found the drainage hose on both front drains were kinked and always had been .This happened after a heavy snowfall then thawed while I was away on a trip and car was in drive .In the end I went to a local  vinyl wrapping shop. I asked for a 50mm strip round all edges and middle joint black gloss vinyl pulled the fuses for roof and blind no more water , no more open sunroof . I have a mate whose had the same issue with a VW tiguan pan roof  cost about £100 if I remember