Skoda insurance

paco

Hi, I’m picking up my new Karoq next week, Skoda are offering me 5 days free insurance with a quote for annual insurance to follow,

has anyone had experience of taking up the offer and is Skoda insurance expensive/ good value ?

I've previously taken up an offer of free short term insurance from another VAG dealer. It was only to allow me to take more time in sorting out the 'full' insurance as the rate quoted wasn't really competitive.

It is useful as above to allow you to sort out insurance etc. eg I decided to buy my new car from display in the showroom whilst in the garage having work done on previous car. I drove it home next day. It would have been impossible to change the insurance that quickly as it seems to take a couple of days before the new registration and car details appear on the database so you can get a quote.

Be advised though that the excess is huge, £1500 from memory and you will be driving a car that you have to familiarise yourself with!

I bought a different VAG group car, and the insurance was useful for timing overlap, but didn’t go with it as it was rather pricey compared to my existing one

Thank you all for your reply’s, yes that is a hefty excess, I think I’ll give my insurance a call 🤔

I picked my new Karoq up a couple of weeks ago. I took the complimentary 5 day insurance. The excess on the free policy is £500. You have to phone them to activate it and they automatically give you a a quote, which was around £150 more than I paid when I renewed the insurance on my 2018 Karoq in March. However, when I went to my broker to change the car on my existing policy, they wanted another £350, despite it being essentially the same car. Needless to say I cancelled the policy and eventually chose Skoda's quote.

I appreciate this thread is essentially about the ‘free’ insurance on offer but whilst considering that, don’t forget to ponder about choosing GAP insurance too as that could also be thought of as being a must have buy.

There is an Insurance section on Briskoda for you to browse the different options.

Edited by john999boy
Typo
  • Like 1

Never quite seen the need for GAP insurance but appreciate everyone is different.

But given todays market where many people are finding their cars appreciate in price, is there any point to GAP?

As per other's experience - I usually take the 5 day cover - gives me time to search best insurance for my needs but as you'll find with any manufacturer, the price is very high. By the way, it's not the manufacturer's insurance rather it's just a broker on behalf of your manufacturer.

Wee story - many years ago I bought a Ford and took their 7day cover offer. When I called to cancel, operator said have you found a better deal and I said I was going with Norwich Union. Operator said - err that's who we are. She looked up my quote then reduced Ford's price of around £700 to the £300 I'd been quoted and matched the excess etc.

Edited by kodiaqsportline

26 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Never quite seen the need for GAP insurance but appreciate everyone is different.

But given todays market where many people are finding their cars appreciate in price, is there any point to GAP?

As you say - horses for courses.

I got it for my current car and thankfully haven't needed to use it. I will still do it for the next one - just in case! 😉

2 hours ago, john999boy said:

As you say - horses for courses.

I got it for my current car and thankfully haven't needed to use it. I will still do it for the next one - just in case! 😉

Re gap insurance - our local dealership was really pushing this when I picked up my Karoq last week. I had to say NO (but I didn't shout. More of a no thanks !! ) to 2 different salesman. Then I got a phone call from them too! I think they must be on commission. 

A salesman selling insurance being on commission, who would have ever thought of that!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OldKaroq said:

Re gap insurance - our local dealership was really pushing this when I picked up my Karoq last week. I had to say NO (but I didn't shout. More of a no thanks !! ) to 2 different salesman. Then I got a phone call from them too! I think they must be on commission. 

There's no thinking about it - percentage wise, such items are the salesperson's highest earners.

Chances of writing off a new car are very slim ( I don't know of anyone who has ) but lets not forget, GAP doesn't pay for a direct replacement, it only pays the difference between the replacement cost and your invoice. And depending on your insurer, you may find it's already part of your car insurance policy. Every policy I've had would pay for a replacement if the car's written off in the first 6mths at least.

It's a hell of a money for such a small amount though. If the GAP figure was significant, all it says to me is I paid way too much for the car in the first place.  The only way I can see it working is if you have a very lengthy options list, none of which contribute to the market value or if the car is bought on finance where some folk are only interested in the monthly payment rather than the total amount they have to pay over the term. 

If you're really set on GAP then it' almost certainlly cheaper to buy it from a 3rd party or direct from the insurer rather than the garage selling the car.

1 hour ago, OldKaroq said:

I very much doubt their quote would have been comparable with the market leaders either.

That's the thing I don't like about buying a car. Having the (insert job occupation here) coming to have a 'final (sales) chat' prior to the paperwork being signed off and letting you get on your way.

1 minute ago, john999boy said:

That's the thing I don't like about buying a car. Having the (insert job occupation here) coming to have a 'final (sales) chat' prior to the paperwork being signed off and letting you get on your way.

I couldn't agree more with that. The less people who I shake hands with the better.

• Like 1

Whilst not totally on the topic of the 5/7 days dealer insurance, every year when renewing the insurance on our two cars I get it through one or another of the ‘Cash back’ sites (Top cash back or Quidco).

Generally speaking I get our Citigo insurance (fully comp / full NCB / 2 retired drivers / 6k miles per year) for less than £100. This time it was £136 policy with £40 cashback insured with LV.

I always cross check with the standard insurance search sites and the insurer direct, the full price of the policy is always similar, so it is not as if the cashback quote is inflated.

• Like 2

On 30/05/2022 at 06:10, vegit8 said:

Whilst not totally on the topic of the 5/7 days dealer insurance, every year when renewing the insurance on our two cars I get it through one or another of the ‘Cash back’ sites (Top cash back or Quidco).

Generally speaking I get our Citigo insurance (fully comp / full NCB / 2 retired drivers / 6k miles per year) for less than £100. This time it was £136 policy with £40 cashback insured with LV.

I always cross check with the standard insurance search sites and the insurer direct, the full price of the policy is always similar, so it is not as if the cashback quote is inflated.

That sounds a good deal. During July our 2 CitiGo’s are due for insurance renewal. We have been with LV for a number of years, but last year we went on a “family” policy with LV, but they were bigger cars (a Prius and Auris, both hubbrids). I will be checking the cash back site you mention too.

22 hours ago, LetsGo said:

We have been with LV for a number of years

One of the downsides with the ‘cashback’ approach is that you have to be a new customer to qualify. 

Having said that it would appear that you can be a new customer again after a break of a year.