Owner's Manual frustration

RodDuggan

Just picked up our facelift Karoq yesterday and started to try and learn things from the manual.

Aaaaarrrgh!

The people who write these things must have no idea what it must be like for a new owner to find out how it all works writing such nonsense as:

"Engine is not switched off via the START-STOP system due to the operating conditions that are not met" is one gem.

We worked out most of the sat-nav system yesterday afternoon, despite the owners manual which is misleading and downright wrong in some paragraphs.

I've been to the online manuals and they're even worse, the left hand location menu resets so you can't read the Function/settings one after the other.

I've just gone back to the bookmarked online manual to find a Skoda foreign language page demanding an email and password that was not needed ten minutes ago!

With all the work that goes into developing such great cars, why can't someone devise a useful owner's manual with ways to achieve everyday tasks instead of a sketchy button by buttton nonsense?

• Like 2

I share your frustration Rod. But my kids would argue, "Who reads manuals anymore.....?"

Shout if there's anything you're stuck on or need help with. The members in this forum are incredibly helpful.

The Lost in translation and pathetic proof reading has been the same for decades.

Written in German, translated to Czech, Spanish, English / US English, Chinese etc or vice versa.

Then when km is converted to miles VW / Audi have a different number by a few hundred from Skoda / SEAT. 

Edited by roottoot

• 2 weeks later...

Had my brand new Karoq two weeks, they may as well have left the owners guide in German for what use it is to me 😡

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paco said:

Had my brand new Karoq two weeks, they may as well have left the owners guide in German for what use it is to me 😡

+1

Totally agree that many things are lost in translation with VW Group products ( not just the owners manual ), but I'm not sure the owners manual is meant to be read beginning to end like a novel.

If I don't know how something works, I've looked at the owners manual and never had a problem understanding it. What I find more annoying is reading comments on forums where the poster has never bothered to look at the ownwers manual. How many times do we see the reply  RTFM ?