"Component Protection Active" in Infotainment (Columbus 9.2)

My 2018 Kodiaq displayed the message "component protection active" today. 

It resolved once I'd locked/unlocked the car.

It's the first time it's happened in a few months of owning and today was the first time I initially tried to start the car with the car keys too far away (they were still attached to my keys in the front door).

So I'm wondering if this protection kicked in as it thought someone may have started my car without the key?

I won't get this checked out just yet as hopefully it's a one off caused by the above but thought I'd ask here if anyone knows or has experienced the same.

Thank you

Screenshot_20220606-135715_Gallery.jpg

Interesting. It shouldn't have anything to do with the key being far away, as far as I know. Component protection (CP) comes in to play when one of a number of components is changed, e.g., if you replace your radio head-unit. I take it you haven't done this, so for now you can likely assume it was just a glitch. Is your battery low by any chance? That can produce all sorts of interesting gremlins...

If it happens again, plug it into a codescanner like OBDeleven, and see if there are any recorded errors. Or, if you've got a Skoda approved-used warranty, you may want to think about taking it back to the dealer at that point, so that they can have a look at it.  

Did you notice if the radio was muted while that message was displayed? There would normally be no sound from the stereo if CP was actually active on it. 

8 minutes ago, Teir said:

Interesting. It shouldn't have anything to do with the key being far away, as far as I know. Component protection (CP) comes in to play when one of a number of components is changed, e.g., if you replace your radio head-unit. I take it you haven't done this, so for now you can likely assume it was just a glitch. Is your battery low by any chance? That can produce all sorts of interesting gremlins...

If it happens again, plug it into a codescanner like OBDeleven, and see if there are any recorded errors. Or, if you've got a Skoda approved-used warranty, you may want to think about taking it back to the dealer at that point, so that they can have a look at it.  

Did you notice if the radio was muted while that message was displayed? There would normally be no sound from the stereo if CP was actually active on it. 

Thank you.

Yes it was definitely active. I couldn't use anything and everything in the menu was dimmed and I couldn't hear the radio or any media.

How do you plug it into a codescanner? I'd rather avoid taking it back to the dealers I bought from as they were awful but obviously will if this happens again as thankfully it came with a 2 year warranty. 

Battery shouldn't be low especially as I've had few long drives lately. 

I've not replaced anything. I did a have a rear view camera added a few weeks ago but the guy was a pro with years of experience and it's been fine since then.

Just to clarify, I retrieved the keys to start the car and then soon after driving the 'component protection' kicked in.

Anyway how odd

Definitely odd. 

By codescanner I mean one of a number of dongles that you can plug into the OBD port under the steering wheel and then use with a phone app to read error codes. OBDeleven is one of the better VAG specific ones: https://obdeleven.com/en/home/187-stand-alone-0758277987851.html (you don't need any credits or subscriptions to read codes, just the device itself).

To be honest though, if this issue keeps recurring you are almost certainly going to end up back at the dealers to resolve it, so reading the error codes may not help you that much (and if you do buy something to read the errors, I would advise you not to 'clear' them, as the dealer is going to need all that info in order to figure out what's going on). 

I would still be suspicious of the battery, personally...

Others may have more to say about your key-related idea though. I guess you could try to recreate those circumstances and see what happens?

Same just happened to my 2019 Fabia. Done nothing different and as you say display dimmed and cannot get any stations. Also it tells me the driver assist scanner is out of action and there is a small warning triangle come up. Sure there is no battery problem as it would show on starting.

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone interested I sorted the  Component Protection. Disconnected the battery and reconnected. Radio and display working again and the Driver Assist is back on line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, caserta said:

For anyone interested I sorted the  Component Protection. Disconnected the battery and reconnected. Radio and display working again and the Driver Assist is back on line.

How did you disconnect the battery please? 

21 minutes ago, hanf said:

How did you disconnect the battery please? 

Disconnect the negative terminal of the 12v battery under the bonnet. You will have some errors on the dash afterwards - take a short drive to clear them. 

Edited by Teir
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, caserta said:

By the way anyone, what the heck is this 'component protection' and what use is it??

Component protection is designed to prevent (deter) people from stealing head units. Each unit is coded to a particular vehicle and this message will come up if a head unit has been put in a different vehicle. 

But sometimes these highly computerised cars just like to do random things at random times for no apparent reason before reverting back to normal 😄

• Like 1