Haldex replacement

dodger21

Picked up my yeti today after having a complete haldex replacement at 33500 miles. Been fully serviced from new and got them to clean filter (that doesn’t exist in VW mind). Cost over £2500 good job I had extended warranty just over a £1 a day well worth it.👍😆

Whole differential or just the Haldex pump?

I cant see the multiplate clutch ever needing replacing even after several million miles, there is so little rotational difference between the plate packs under torque transfer conditions.

Dont know cause happen when it goes back to Skoda they may find out. As I said earlier had haldex serviced twice, last one August last year and got them to clean the pump filter as I did on the first one.

On 09/06/2022 at 00:13, dodger21 said:

Dont know cause happen when it goes back to Skoda they may find out. As I said earlier had haldex serviced twice, last one August last year and got them to clean the pump filter as I did on the first one.

What were the symptoms? Noisy from the rear?

It sounds like whoever did the service on the haldex drained the diff.

Booming noise and when cornering or pulling out at junctions car seemed to jump sideways, mechanic said it was trying to engage four wheel drive that was causing it .

Been serviced on time every year and haldex  oil change done twice.

On 15/06/2022 at 21:31, logiclee said:

It sounds like whoever did the service on the haldex drained the diff.

Sounds even more like it with the description, what was reported would be the crown wheel & pinion breaking up and the planet gears locking then releasing with a jerk, definitely not uncommanded Haldex engagement.

Another mechanic with an indiscriminate hole penchant!

11 hours ago, dodger21 said:

Booming noise and when cornering or pulling out at junctions car seemed to jump sideways, mechanic said it was trying to engage four wheel drive that was causing it .

Been serviced on time every year and haldex  oil change done twice.

As described above.

Sound like diff failure rather than haldex engagement issue. Haldex engagement is electronically controlled via an electric pump on the Yeti. 

Did the garage doing the Haldex change do the service? Sounds like a cover up.

You are not the first and wont be the last to have a diff fail because of an incorrect service.

• Like 2

I think the diff drain plug being so close to the Haldex drain plug is what confuses them. They drain the diff thinking they have drained the Haldex, then top up the Haldex. Seeing as the Haldex doesn't take much oil even when empty, they aren't concerned when they can only dispense a small amount of oil into the already full Haldex. Then the customer drives off with no oil in their diff which the mechanics deny any knowledge of

Edited by Dale_Stevens

7 hours ago, Dale_Stevens said:

I think the diff drain plug being so close to the Haldex drain plug is what confuses them. They drain the diff thinking they have drained the Haldex, then top up the Haldex. Seeing as the Haldex doesn't take much oil even when empty, they aren't concerned when they can only dispense a small amount of oil into the already full Haldex. Then the customer drives off with no oil in their diff which the mechanics deny any knowledge of

Exactly what I did despite having a second knowledgable pair of eyes overseeing me (I only have sight in one eye and not good close up in the gloom) because we knew of the possibility.

The mistaken diff oil came out clean as a whistle and did not have that hypoid smell that I was so used to, I scrutinised it with a cynical eye and concluded it must be Haldex oil, with hindsight I know that used Haldex oil will be filthy.

Because I removed the pump to clean the guaze strainer some fluid was lost so the refill quantity whilst low was not that short, conflicting info on the net of the refill volume only further muddied the waters.

I drove about 300 miles, 2/3 of which was a loaded high speed autoroute run, that was when I first heard the diff noise.

Amazingly despite the diff being dry and when flushed with 50/50 oil & parrafin it coming out black as treacle I seemed to have dodged a bullet, there has been transmission noise since but not obviously excessive, perhaps there was some anyway with the lack of soundproofing, touch wood I have driven for 3 years and 32K miles since then, most very hard miles towing overloaded and the diff has held together and not got any worse.