Car not ready for collection on agreed date

I posted on here about buying a new Skoda a while back and got some really useful feedback (decided to buy a used rather than new Fabia partly because of this) so thought I would do the same now,

Last Thursday I test drove and put a deposit down on a Fabia and was told it would be ready today (Wednesday, which even then seemed quite a long time to have to wait). When I rang today to ask if I could collect at lunchtime rather than the 6 p.m. time we had agreed I was told the car had not been serviced (worrying in itself) so this was not possible. This was fine by me as it made little difference really.

A couple of hours later I got a call to say unfortunately a dent had been found in the roof (A Colour edition so hard to see when I first looked and test drove) and that the car was unlikely to be ready for collection today. To cut a long story short I  said I was not happy and the salesperson suggested they deliver the car to me on Friday. I gladly accepted this offer but was then told they hoped the dent could be fixed so the car could be collected tonight. Just after 4 p.m. I got an email to say the car would not be ready and they would TRY to deliver on Friday. I am now going to have to ask to work form home or take leave: both inconvenient.

Having rang Skoda Finance after this I was told the PCP started yesterday so I am already paying interest on a car I don't have (new paperwork has been written as I am no longer part exchanging my car so hopefully this will replace the old agreement). The Skoda Finance guy was very helpful  and asked me why the car was not ready and seemed surprised (and yet not surprised too) when I told him.

The car has now been filled with petrol (as agreed when I paid the deposit) but I am inclined to cancel the purchase and demand my deposit is refunded if the car is not delivered Friday as it feels like one issue after another.

Have others experienced anything similar? Am I likely to receive the refund without much hassle as I have been messed around? If anyone has had their Skoda delivered did this go to plan?

The whole experience epitomises everything I hate about buying a car and why I tend to keep them for as long as possible,

Personally this reads like you are making a mountain out of a molehill.  Many dealers would have ignored the minor roof damage and just delivered the car but they are taking it upon themselves to fix it and then deli er it to you at their cost. 

Working from home and 2 days interest may be 'inconvenient' but finding another car, test driving and arranging everything again will be a LOT more hassle and if you like the car then two days isn't long to wait. 

• Like 2

@SheplobstersDid you not ask the Dealer Principal for a Courtesy car / Dealership Demonstrator / Sales Managers daily driver until they have your car as it should be handed over which is in perfect condition. 

?

Is the car you are getting a Skoda Ex Demonstrator that has been brought in from someplace other than where you are buying it?

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/501940-advice-for-a-first-time-skoda-buyer

Edited by roottoot

Thanks for the prompt responses. Freedom: I did not consider any of that I'm afraid (I am in no way any sort of car or Skoda expert, which is why I cam on here).In terms of your first point I'm not too concerned for the sake of a couple of days. Ex Demonstrator didn't occur to me.

Thanks for your honesty Skomaz: it probably doesn't come across in my post but I'm very sceptical about this actually happening on Friday as the offer has been a bit vague and I'm not sure it's been approved. If it does then of course it's a great outcome. Also I have already test driven another Fabia at a different dealer which I also really liked, but is a grand dealer (part of my dilemma). I will be absolutely delighted if it turns out I am making a mountain out of a molehill and it arrives Friday. 

@Sheplobsters

Tell us about the car please.

?

When was it first registered and how many miles has it done?

I am asking this just to get an idea what 'Servicing' the car might be getting before you get it.

?

So is this on a PCP deal giving the remainder of the 3 year manufacturers warranty or 2 years & 2 services? 

1608861410_Screenshot2022-06-0708_46_34.jpg.537c994236b710a688ed6f4c3cbd5300.jpg

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

Fabia Colour edition 95 TSI 95 registered in September 2020 and it's done just over 19k miles, advertised as 16k on website and it did seem a little high (although I don't do high mileage) which might support your ex demo suggestion?

Yeah PCP deal with remainder of warranty and 2 services plus £250 contribution.

@Sheplobsters

Maybe a demonstrator when new, but not at near 2 years old.

It could have been a Fleet / Lease car, a Courtesy car, loaned to NHS etc during covid, or a Motability lease etc etc, or just a car on PCP.

So if it was on Fixed servicing it was due in September 2021, and then again now.

Or maybe if on Variable / Flexible servicing this might be it's first service.

So an Oil & Inspection service and the pollen filter changed is what it gets.

Now it will be put on Fixed Servicing for the 2 services you are getting with the PCP deal.  Those are @ 12 months / 9,400 miles what ever comes soonest.

Screenshot 2022-06-07 08.16.40.jpg

Screenshot 2022-06-07 08.17.24.jpg

Screenshot 2022-06-07 08.18.15.jpg

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, roottoot said:

@Sheplobsters

Maybe a demonstrator when new, but not at near 2 years old.

I agree with @roottoot. Demonstrators are normally four-digit mileage cars under 12 months old.

I think mine was a demonstrator (about 7500 miles & sold after 6 months use) but it was sold as ex Skoda dealership car. I took that to mean one of the staff at the dealership had it as their car.

Simply ask the question of the salesperson, because if asked they need to tell you if they know, and they bought the car so should know.

Send them in an email and get a reply in writing.

Ask them to print out the cars service history and send it now before you collect the car. Tomorrow will do..

How many previous registered keepers, Do they know the cars history, first registration / registered keeper. VW Finance or whatever.

has the car been in an accident and repaired.

Has there been any warranty work required on the car or any service campaign / recall actions.

*Not just written off you want to know about. But then they would not knowingly buy a write off.  (well you might think that.)

they need to tell you is there anything on the system of body repairs to factory standard so that the paint and corrosion warranty is valid.

Even this small roof repair should show on the system as services include body inspections.

Screenshot 2022-06-08 20.56.33.jpg

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Sheplobsters said:

Noted ta rootoot.

No not used that Enter Name: what makes you suspicious?

Firstly, I am a cynical old so and so, so bear that in mind. I also keep my cars for the best part of a decade normally, so I buy really cautiously. If anything is not quite right, I walk.

From your initial posts, there are too many little niggling "Hmm, that's odd!" triggers for my liking. Maybe I'm wrong and it's all good, but I don't like unpleasant surprises when it comes to buying cars, and dents in the roof definitely come under that category.

As I said, it's a Spidey-sense thing, not an opinion based on fact. If you're a bit twitchy about the purchase and are considering a refund, it might be just cold feet at the prospect of handing over a lot of cash (I get that), but it might be your subconscious trying to get you to notice something.

As you tend to keep your cars for a long time too, I'd be twitchy about how good the repair to the roof is going to be. How's it going to look in 5 years? How long is the repair guaranteed for?

I am hyper-cautious and am probably at the extreme end of the scale when it comes to nervous buyers, so bear that in mind when reading my concerns.

Incidentally, my last car had a dent in the sill when I bought it. Never gave me a moment's trouble.

The rear door which had been repaired before I bought it started rusting after about 10 years, though. That was a nuisance.

Edited by EnterName
Added Mondeo note
  • Like 1

Thanks and that's interesting. I think it just all happened on a bad day (bad day at work, HMRC tax bill for £900) so it annoyed me more than it might have done. Personally I don't think there is anything to particularly worry about but I have been disappointed by the buying experience as after a Ford Focus and 2 x Mazda 3's this has been a really bad buying experience in comparison to Fords of Winsford and a Mazda dealership (and that was not great) and I expected better from Skoda given all the rave reviews (although this is Lookers Skoda, for what that's worth). Also there is a bit of chain involved as my wife will be getting rid of her car and having mine as part of this so that adds to the hassle and disappointment.

Based on the last two responses I am going to email the saleswoman and see what she comes back with me. Hopefully it will be delivered Friday (but as I say I'm very doubtful on this). 

Thanks for all the responses: it's been a very mixed bag but all useful. 

• Like 2

I'd view the roof dent as a positive.  It's failed an inspection and they've been upfront about it.  You didn't spot it, so the roof's presumably not concave or looking like it was upended during a rally stage off.  And they're going to resolve it.  Asking for before and after photos might alleviate your concern.  I'd certainly want to know details.

As to it not being serviced yet, there might be a perfectly reasonable explanation.  In the team I've just left, we needed 13 people to keep ticking over in one area, but due to sickness, maternity, Covid, over the last two years we'd been routinely down to three to five staff.  Strategy, routine work and planning was put on hold and we were doing the next most important thing next, so I can understand things ending up being last minute.

Agree with everything George (Root) and EN have said.

Gaz

• Like 1

Thanks Gaz that's useful to know. I have already emailed to ask Gary more detail but given the responses and in light of ongoing issues organisations are facing I am inclined to just be patient as I do like the car. I'm going to see my mum down south on  Saturday but if its not ready for then so be it. Cheers, Paul. 

3 minutes ago, Sheplobsters said:

Yes I did! I was going to update over the weekend.

I'm glad you got it all sorted to your satisfaction and ended up with the car you wanted. Great result!

Have fun over the weekend. :)