Boost leak advice

Hi Folks.  I know this has been covered many times but I have what I think is a boost leak which I'm presuming is usual work boost pipe connection issue? I get a prominent whistle as the the turbo comes in and horrific black smoke when you apply full throttle.

What's the best way to go about this? Can all boost pipes be easily replaced. Is there a cost effective way to do this? It has done just over 100k with full history of oil changes, etc. 05 plate Fab Vrs ASZ engine code. Many thanks in advance.

Edited by johnthomas99
Missing car

8 hours ago, johnthomas99 said:

what I think is a boost leak

Sounds like it. Listen to every connector from the turbo, through the intercooler to the inlet manifold if there's not an obvious popped joint.

….. or if your hearing is as bad as mine, spray water with plenty of washing liquid in it around the connectors to see if air is escaping through the joint (the water will bubble if there is, of course) 

The cheapest fix is to drill some self-tapper screws through the coupling to hold them tight together, but might not be perfect.

Aside this fix, they’re easy enough to replace, if not expensive.

Great, thanks for the advice. I'll spray some soapy water around the joints to see if I can pin it down. I can see oil coming from the lower intercooler pipe so this might be a good place to start. 

1 hour ago, johnthomas99 said:

I can see oil coming from the lower intercooler pipe so this might be a good place to start.

Or not; that's the place where oil usually accumulates in the intake pipework anyway, and illogical as this sounds, it can leak from there without there being a boost leak there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Titanium_Man said:

….. or if your hearing is as bad as mine

I went deaf in my left ear about five years ago. I've had three MRI brain scans to investigate but they don't know what's caused it so I just have to live with it. Hearing aid does nothing to help ☹️

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, TMB said:

I've had three MRI brain scans to investigate but they don't know what's caused it

Sympathies. Has anyone explained how an MRI is supposed to detect damage to your inner ear?

31 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Sympathies. Has anyone explained how an MRI is supposed to detect damage to your inner ear?

Cheers, Ken. They were looking for tumours or issues with the acoustic nerve in the brain but found nothing wrong apart from a couple of benign cysts that have nothing to do with my hearing. I was eventually told by an ENT consultant that there is nothing more they can do if there is damage to the middle ear. I have a sneaking suspicion that SSRI meds caused it as I started having intermittent hearing problems way back when I started meds. I don't know for sure though.

Apologies for the thread derail.

Edited by TMB

1 hour ago, TMB said:

I went deaf in my left ear about five years ago. I've had three MRI brain scans to investigate but they don't know what's caused it so I just have to live with it. Hearing aid does nothing to help ☹️

I feel ya….. the medication that saved my life in 2015 destroyed my hearing.  Despite only being 41, I officially have the hearing of a 100+ y/old. Yes, I have hearing aids but they don’t solve everything 😞 

• Sad 1

Just now, Titanium_Man said:

I feel ya….. the medication that saved my life in 2015 destroyed my hearing.  Despite only being 41, I officially have the hearing of a 100+ y/old. Yes, I have hearing aids but they don’t solve everything 😞 

That sucks, mate ☹️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Titanium_Man said:

At least I know what caused my problem. Would be driving me up the wall being in your situation 😞 

Yeah, it's frustrating and depressing. I try not to think about it too much because it brings me down.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, TMB said:

Yeah, it's frustrating and depressing. I try not to think about it too much because it brings me down.

I guess it’s a bit easier for me as I can rationalise that without the meds I would unquestionably be dead, (this medication didn’t exist 15 years ago) whereas your situation is completely different 😞 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TMB said:

I was eventually told by an ENT consultant that there is nothing more they can do if there is damage to the middle ear. I have a sneaking suspicion that SSRI meds caused it as I started having intermittent hearing problems way back when I started meds.

I'm not an ENT, or a pharmacist, but that sounds plausible.

• Like 1