VCDS Code Injector?

Hello

I had an injector replaced and the vehicle is still not running correctly, with limp mode up and still faults with injector.

Is it possible this is because the injector was not coded on VCDS? I am under impression from things I've read that can be the case.

If so, what's the quickest/cheapest way to get that done?

Thanks

David

From memory, there should be a series of numbers on the side of most injectors, a calibration value.

This needs inputting into the car to avoid under/over fuelling.

Got printout of fault codes in the car?

Never assume a faultcode is gospel, could be issue in fuelling system causing error.

Thanks! Code error is the below:

============1============== P0204 Raw code: 0204 ECU: Engine control unit Status: Pending OBDII: Injector 4 - circuit malfunction Skoda: Injector 4 Control Circuit

This happened, so I had the injector replaced. It cleared it for about 100 miles and now showing again. Car in limp mode and stuttering.

I am no expert by a long stretch, but odds are you have a break in the wiring loom that is intermittant.

Could now be more permanent shall we say.

Has the fault code changed, or is it same.

Also if you have a multimeter, you could be checking Inj 4 values vs the other injectors (are you getting Voltage on a wire that you shouldn't be now, or a loss of Voltage?)

It might be best to get it back to the place that replaced the injector, as warranty lies with them.

I assume they plugged in diagnostic tool to verify and fit replacement part?

My gut says you have a broken wire in the loom, and what was a temporary issue is now permanent.

When the car originally faulted and went into limp mode, did it run really rough?

Might be an idea to expand original symptoms of when the fault occured, what you did after (stop engine and restart?)

Makes sense what you say on the loom for sure. Assume whole loom is replaced not just a part to the one injector?

No real symptoms to be honest, car was driving fine and then it just went into limp mode and had that error. 

Is replacing the wiring loom difficult? Something I could do?

Mucking about with wiring looms is best left to the experts.

You mention you have a fault code reader, VCDS?  I presume you was able to clear existing code.

Does the code clear now, or is it now a permanent one?

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0204

It's a sort of generic code that covers several possible faults in Inj 4

Going back to earlier, maybe whomever fitted the injector should carry on the work?

Edited by varooom

Well here is an example loom, take a look and see if you think you can deal with a few plugs 🤔

Shouldn't be too technical to fit, cost is around £100+

937744631_LoomExample.png.9b5194b363ae7f15538f5f3c0e998a60.png

You may wish to flesh out your profile for the year your car is.

Also to find out your engine code, as this will be important to get correct loom.

Ring your local dealers or TPS to get price and exact fitment if another way.

Cheaper for now, is to get a multimeter (or borrow one) for some reading of the values on the loom connectors.

EDIT: I am not suggesting you actually replace the loom!  But you can get a multimeter or at least get a price for the part.

Should you go down the replacement loom option, then best provide your 3 or 4 digit engine code (should be on your registration documents)

Edited by varooom
More Information

2 hours ago, octaviaguy2519 said:

Looks to be CAYC

Not good news I'm afraid.

CAYC does not have a mini loom option for just the injector set like a different engine code above.

You are looking at £400-600 depending on which gearbox you have and when exactly your car was made.

And fitting such a large loom will not be an easy task.

1080378043_CAYCLoom.thumb.png.b5894227bb4bd55bfdfb35b54cb580c0.png

If you are still going with DIY choice, then get a multimeter to start probing.

Damnit, was always going to be the case wasn’t it!

Stupid question, but what is the benefit to probing? Would that just show the wiring loom needs replacing or is there a chance only a part of it does and that’s easier cheaper, or the part going to injector 4 alone could be replaced?

33 minutes ago, octaviaguy2519 said:

Damnit, was always going to be the case wasn’t it!

Stupid question, but what is the benefit to probing? Would that just show the wiring loom needs replacing or is there a chance only a part of it does and that’s easier cheaper, or the part going to injector 4 alone could be replaced?

Yes that's sod's law.

If you was to probe each of the injector's with a wiring diagram, you could check Voltages, resistance and continuity from A to B (ECU to injector's)

If you find a fault, you can at least get a definitive answer, and then you can fix loom (if skills allow) or get it fixed knowing that you've pinpointed the issue (hopefully)

Sadly odds are you may not have needed that injector fitting, you'll kick yourself as I would.

An update to this!

Had an auto electrician take a look. He said the new injector installed is shorting the circuit, and that's why its not working. He believes this is because a non-VW injector was installed that isnt right, and installing a VW injector should resolve it...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, octaviaguy2519 said:

An update to this!

Had an auto electrician take a look. He said the new injector installed is shorting the circuit, and that's why its not working. He believes this is because a non-VW injector was installed that isnt right, and installing a VW injector should resolve it...

Getting closer, fingers crossed for you

1 minute ago, octaviaguy2519 said:

Thanks! Does this seem like it could be the case in your view? 

Also, if the "new injector" that was installed wasnt coded in VCDS... would this cause a short?

Sadly more of an armchair mechanic, that reads a fair few tech documents and pays attention "in class"

I know there is a certain resistance value range that they should be within, a tolerance, outside of this spec and you have troubles.

Odds are the auto electrician has it spot on about the fault.

Coding wouldn't cause a fault, as I said earlier I believe, it's about the characteristics of each individual injector's calibration that should be written on each.  It allows the ECU to modify injection quantity to make it run smoothly.