Brake questions

Hi again,

I have two little questions regarding the brakes on my superb:

- I had a rubbery squeak when slowly braking to a stop with my old brake discs and pads. Had them replaced recently with brembo discs and pads and still does the same...  Could this be some bushing going bad?

- related to this, today I was on a small incline testing this noise (seems more prominent form the left side) without the electric auto brake and noticed that, every few braking attempts the car would not move back freely (as expected) and the brakes would stay on for a few seconds, then let go. Is this normal? I was afraid of having let some air into the callipers when I pushed the pistons in for the new discs and pads, but the next day Skoda replaced the brake fluid as part of the service plan and must have bled/checked the braking system...

Cheers!

People need to stop fitting Brembo brakes, there are loads of posts in this forum and others about people fitting Brembo and getting new noises or knocking sounds. 

The quality of the pads is shocking.

Try a different, Better brand and come back to us with the results?

And regarding the braking thing youre saying - This sounds like the hill hold assist. 

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, maybe brembo pads are not the best out there but the noise was there before the swap with original pads... Braking wise, they brake fine. I don't think the noise is caused by the pads, but if it was that's no reason to ditch brand new ones (unless it's an issue and ok can do a warranty claim with brembo). It's really only when coming to a full stop, otherwise silent and efficient.

Also, the hill assist was definitely off and the brakes would only stay on by themselves every few braking attempts, not always. That's why it's puzzling...

Edited by pcspinheiro

8 hours ago, MChris said:

So if Pagid and now Brembo are considered not so good, what pads/discs are recommended?

Pagid is one I do recommend, don’t think anyone has said otherwise?

Brembo have nothing but issues.

personally I go for ATE, TRW or Pagid. That’s all I would fit to my car and the first 2 are surprisingly what a large portion of manufactures use oe.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MChris said:

So if Pagid and now Brembo are considered not so good, what pads/discs are recommended?

I fit a lot of Brembo to customers cars, the issues are very few and far between. I think the number of posts on the internet are relative to the high sales volume of Brembo against other brands, or I've just been extremely lucky. 

Delphi are another good brand for braking, they come as standard on quite a few cars.

• Thanks 1

On 16/08/2022 at 11:31, pcspinheiro said:

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, maybe brembo pads are not the best out there but the noise was there before the swap with original pads... Braking wise, they brake fine. I don't think the noise is caused by the pads, but if it was that's no reason to ditch brand new ones (unless it's an issue and ok can do a warranty claim with brembo). It's really only when coming to a full stop, otherwise silent and efficient.

Also, the hill assist was definitely off and the brakes would only stay on by themselves every few braking attempts, not always. That's why it's puzzling...

Auto-hold and its associated button, is not the same thing as hill hold assist. Auto-hold keeps the brakes on regardless, until you move off. Hill Hold Assist only works when there is a gradient such that the car would roll backwards. This is what the manual says about it:

When driving on slopes, HHC allows you to move your foot from the brake pedal
to the accelerator pedal without the vehicle rolling downhill on its own.
The system holds the brake pressure produced by the activation of the brake
pedal for approx. 2 seconds after the brake pedal is released.
The HHC is active from a 5% slope if the driver's door is closed. HHC is only ever
active on slopes when in forward or reverse start off.

Maybe the gradient was on the cusp of 5%, sometimes above and sometimes below?