Skoda Yeti 118TSI 2013 engine rattle when warm.

aussieyetifan

Hi all

My venerable(now at 247k) but trusty 2013 Skoda Yeti 118TSI has developed a rattle in the engine at Idle when it is hot and sometimes wont fire up immediatley at the turn of the ignition key.   It runs and sounds fine when it is cold but when it is hot it runs rough and sounds like a diesel at low revs.  I had the cam timing chain and tensioner replaced at 120k and it runs and sounds fine  when it is cold so I dont think it is Timing chain related.  Other forums have suggested Valve lifters but if anyone has any ideas about what it could be Id be happy to hear them .  Its been a great car and would like to keep it running for as long as possible.

Cheers  

4 hours ago, Urrell said:

What's the oil consumption like?

Thanks for the replies ... Oil consumption is probably 150 ml per 1500km approx.

Ill post an audio file of the noise... if its the timing chain again then I might be saying goodbye to a much loved car

Edited by aussieyetifan
wrong info posted

5 hours ago, roottoot said:

Regarding another timing chain I am led to believe that a symptom of the dreaded timing chain failure is a engine top end rattle when cold ...  mine  starts and sounds fine when cold and only rattles when its really warm so hoping it might be something abit cheaper to fix!

42 minutes ago, aussieyetifan said:

Thanks for the replies ... Oil consumption is probably 150 ml per 1500km approx.

6000+ miles per litre is amazing for a 1.8 TSI at 150,000 miles!

You could try changing the oil to a little heavier grade & see if that changes anything.

Or try chucking in a can of STP, you have nothing to loose either way.

At that mileage it could also be the valve lifters as they are oil fed.Image result for STP oil treatment

11 hours ago, Urrell said:

6000+ miles per litre is amazing for a 1.8 TSI at 150,000 miles!

Yes I think that is about right ...maybe abit more ... I have owned it since new and always changed oil at about 8000-10000kms.  Its been a one driver car and only redlined it two or three times;).

Just as well to stick with VW502 00 so 5w 40 FS with a high mileage engine, or just any TSI really of Euro 5 spec & especially a 1.8 TSI or 1.4 TSI Twincharger.

That is when doing Fixed Oil & Filter changes and not Long Life intervals.  Not that i would use long Life oil in them even doing a Fixed Oil & Filter Service regime. 

No need to stick to VW504 00 / 507 00. 

Edited by roottoot