Euro 4 to Euro 6 – upgrade my 08 Scout to a newer one?

1. I've an 08 Scout, 185,000 miles, loose as a loose thing but I love it. Can get 55 mpg out of it, and also 'enjoy driving it' too. My (fab) garage know everything about it. Had a gearbox rebuild once. AC has a leak somewhere it ain't economical to get to. It's been a great car but now long in tooth. Wife thinks not worth spending more on it (if a big ticket thing came along). It was about £6000 seven years ago but a replacement is looking like £10,000 (and then some) and I've been told all the extra bits bolted to a Euro 6 block, to get it to hug trees, complicates things and can be expensive to fix. Quick poll – lots of you with Euro 6 diesels enjoying trouble-free motoring? Should I stick with the devil I know?

2. Have searched and read various threads on here – anyone retro-fitted a variable boot floor to a MK III Scout? I love the one I have in my current Scout so it's a factor if I do have to get a newer Scout.

I’ve not had any trouble with my 2016 Euro 6 Octavia with exception of fuel pressure sensor. If I was in your boots, I’d go with better the devil you know especially with the current cost of living crisis. 

Obviously if you Scout does throw a big bill, then you’ve got to look at it objectively. Mk3 Scouts do go for decent money. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NZ100 said:

Where does it say he gets "82 mpg" ? Would that not be,  outstanding.

Octavia SE 1.6TDi CR 110ps, Brilliant silver, wiper and lights assist. Carpet mats, bootmat and mudflaps. Spare wheel. Upto 82mpg. Average 62mpg. September 66reg. 

Have to say that 82mpg doesn`t happen very often! Normally in steady moving traffic @ 50mph with good road surface and warm weather in 5th gear over 10-15 miles.....can happen through operation brock on the M20....82mpg is a very rare occurrance but early 70s is more easily achievable!

• Like 1

Assuming the 08 scout is a PD engine. They are renowned for lasting. What else is likely to be a big bill? If happy with the motor and it's a bit loose why not have all the bushes changed. Shouldn't be too expensive and will go a long way to tighten things up. New shocks should also help and with the age and popularity you should get aftermarket parts quite cheap. Could even do some yourself if handy on a spanner to save a little.

Has the rear diff and haldex been serviced regularly? If so then I'd be happy chucking a little cash at it to make it good again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

Assuming the 08 scout is a PD engine. They are renowned for lasting.

1.9 TDI engines certainly have a reputation for longevity.   I suspect that an '08 Scout has the 2.0, 8 valve, BMM engine.   It's a nice torquey unit but I'm not sure if it's as robust as the earlier engines.  It'll have the added complication of a DPF as well.  That's equally true of the Euro 6 engines.

My 6 year old 150 TDI Yeti only has some 45k miles on it so I'm not really able to comment on reliability.  However, it is very smooth, pleasant to drive and with a remap also goes pretty well. 

• Like 1