07 Octavia 1.9tdi battery and starting issue

Morning all. My trusty octavia has an issue. 

It's never smoothly started, more of a cough then starts and runs absolutely spot on. Lately I've noticed when turning the ignition on the battery light doesn't go off which I'm assuming does normally. A sign of an alternator issue? 

6 minutes ago, imprezaworks said:

Lately I've noticed when turning the ignition on the battery light doesn't go off

The battery light should only go off when the battery receives a positive charge. This doesn't happen until the engine is running. If the light doesn't extinguish at this point, I'd suspect an issue with the alternator or the alternator controls.

• Love it! 1

Cheers for the quick replies. I've had the battery checked yesterday and says good buy needs a charge, I had been away for a couple of weeks and before that the car hadn't been driven much. 

So turning thw ignition on to the point of starting and letting the lights go out. The battery light should aswell?. So potentially an alternator fault as mentioned?. 

Thanks. 

Glow plugs are a redundant feature in UK climate, don't bother replacing them nor wait for the preheat light to extinguish before starting, just turn the key straight to starting.

24 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Which has nothing whatsoever to do with the charging circuit!

But would explain the starting issue?. 

I've checked with my mk5 golf ref the battery light, works the same as the octavia. 

1 hour ago, imprezaworks said:

But would explain the starting issue?. 

I've checked with my mk5 golf ref the battery light, works the same as the octavia. 

Maybe, but the glowplugs on mine have been FUBAR since I bought it in 2005, and still starts on the button until the temperature is ~-20C.

Apparently your 2 cars work differently from anything the other 3 contributors to this thread have driven between them.

16 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Apparently your 2 cars work differently from anything the other 3 contributors to this thread have driven between them.

No, he was just mis-remembering seeing the battery light go out before engine fires up.

He's saying they both do the same as what we are saying they should do.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Was thinking my issue is the starter motor, battery seems fine. I did notice today and excuse my daftness the small airbox at the front, the pipe was away from the housing and the cover was loose. The housing had two pipes one from the main airbox. Is this just another type of airbox? 

The part you refer to is the water/debris pre-filter baffle which just reduces/prevents precipitation and large airborne debris from being ingested directly to the filter.