Octavia VRS 245 FWD traction

Hi all, 

I have Superb 280 TSI 4x4 on order and currently waiting for 10 months without no estimated delivery term, only theoretic build date in April. Due to this reason, I am seriously considering replacing that with warehouse Octavia VRS TSI 245. My main concern is FWD since I am too tired with wheel spin off even with my current Karoq 1.6 TDI at almost every junction. Snowy winter is even worse. Can VRS owners share their opinions about traction when starting off?

- Is it as as bad as other FWD cars during the summer? I really like 4x4 traction when starting off.

- Do you struggle in icy and snowy roads?

- What about chassis comfort? Does DCC help it making comfortable in bad bumpy roads? I also drive BMW F30 M Performance which is really stiff and drives nice, but I would not like that stiffness for everyday city driving.

Thanks in advance

Yeah a lot of wheel spin if launching, but it depends on the surface and tyres. Mine is with factory summer turanzas (Bridgestone). If tyres are warm and surface is warm too i can get pretty decent launches with TCC in sport mode (and launch control). I even managed to beat factory 0-100 and did it in 6.4 (factory 6.7). Not driven in winter tet though. 

"Normal quicker" start from junctions is quite ok for me, no issues, traction is good. With pedal hard on floor you get obviously quite a lot of wheelspin, but I do not that often... But best would be for you to try it somewhere in testdrive

• Like 2

@Codename47 your Karoq having a DQ200 7 speed twin dry clutch with the 1.6TDI is about as bad a combination that was offered along with OEM tyres.  There are DQ200 vehicles that behaved pretty well from standing starts.    That might not be all 1.5tsi if fitted with the DQ200 so road testing the car you are thinking on matters, not just a similar car.    Wet clutch 7 DSG,s and a VAQ diff are a whole different thing. 

As others have said, in the dry the grip is pretty good from the tyres.  I find the traction control works well too so if i floor it the traction does a pretty good job of quelling the wheelspin but keeping me moving.  If you was worried about traction you could change the tyres to a better tyre.

I've got DCC on mine and its pretty good as making the ride comfortable.  It can go from really quite firm and bouncy to nice and comfy.  The roads round me are terrible and i use it quite a lot in comfort mode.  

My SEL iV wheel spins quite often when going for it off the line, and when it’s wet it’s worse. Slightly embarrassing sometimes but the electronic aids aren’t over enthusiastic and it soon hooks up. 

I’d say if you want to do some enthusiastic driving more often then the 4x4 will be better for sure. But if you want a proper decent handling car get a Ford Focus instead as mine handled way better than my  current Octavia. The Octys aren’t great in that respect but they aren’t the worst.