2008 Skoda octavia 19 tdi 4x4 Gear selector arm

Hello, Looking for advise please. Had to get Rac this afternoon as I could not get a gear, Apparently its the gear selector arm.  Lovely Rac man managed to get me going with a temp fix but I need a new gear selector arm.  As its a bank hol weekend I am a bit stuck but Rac man said I may have to get from main dealer?   I really do not know anything about cars and could do with some help with were to get this part at a reasonable price. This is a old high mileage car so dont want to be paying a fortune from main dealer if I can help it.

Obviously with this weekend being bank hol Im a bit stuck for ringing garages etc til Tues and need to get back on the road as soon as possible.  Could anyone advise on this part please.

If it's the part I think it is you'll probably get one used on the bay for £20.

The part will have a p/n embossed on it, be careful not all parts have the same geometry.

Thanks I have had a look on ebay but confused as to what part I need.  As I said I know nothing about cars and all Rac man said was its the gear selector arm.  He did show me the part which seemed to be a flat piece of metal with holes in which he said was worn.  He has managed to fix it for me to get home but he can not say how long it will hold so need to get fixed asap.  Obviously this weekend is difficult with Bank hol.   I will have to ring Garages on Tues but Rac man did say it might have to be a main dealer part!  I have Rac report which I will read later to see if it gives any clues as too which part as I would order one from ebay  if I could find the right part.

Its made worse as the mechanic I have used for years has just retired!

Member reports unable to select gears.
Attended vehicle and found worn spline on gear selector arm that sits on gear selector rod.
Managed to re secure using washer to clamp together.
Gears now selecting okay.
Followed member back home all okay member to take to local on tuesday.

This is the report from Rac.   

You may be OK with the job he has done, I discovered the arm was flopping loose on my Yeti when I removed the gearbox to change the clutch, the gear selection had been sloppy but had not yet failed, all I did was inspect the splines after cleaning and decide it was worth a try replacing with the fastener correctly tightened.

I have done 30K miles since without any problem, from memory its a tapered spline so tightening and adding a clamping washer will probably be OK.

If in the future you feel the gear selection getting sloppy then that is the time to replace the part.

• Like 1

Best I can do is suggest either parts:

1K0 711 046 P

1K0 711 046 M

1K0 711 046 Q

You would be best to check the p/n on the original and have a professional assess the issue.

As J.R. has mentioned the fix may be good for the lifetime of the car.

Both the arm and shaft are hard steel so it's hard to imagine wear unless the securing nut had come loose and you had been having trouble selecting gears for some time.

Edited by MicMac