Karoq LED headlights cracks led to water condensation

Jest

Got a Karoq Edition 2018 with 65k miles on it. I noticed this summer that both my headlights got cracks on the top outer edges . The driver side one got condensation in it, staying there for the past month.

I have looked for any guides getting rid of the condensation but all of the videos are about bulb headlights, there is nothing on youtube even for VW with LED. Is there any cure for this problem?

LEDs generate very little heat so won’t cause condensation to evaporate.

There are only two solutions, in summer park facing the sun, or at this time of year park your car in your garage, stick some of those moisture attracting crystals as near as practical to each unit and hope the warmth of garage draws out the moisture which is then absorbed.

There is a third option, spend loads and get replacement units.   
But clearing your garage of junk and parking in it is lot cheaper.

• Like 1

I will try with the crystals, it sounds as something that can help. My car is always parked in an underground car park. Do you know if getting the whole headlight out is an easy job to do?

Probably the picture doesn't do justice but there is no missing pieces or holes in it, it is just cracks but if that so I would replace it then.

That looks like a stress fracture that others have reported.  If I remember, there may be a thread on here somewhere about the lights being replaced under warranty. It is obviously out of warranty but if it can be shown that it is not sue to a stome chip then they may look sympathetically on it. You could also get a smart repair done or try some clear repair system like this:  

If you don't fix the hole then the moisture will get in every night and you will have a constant issue. 

If no joy with Skoda and "on the cheap" I would personally - get the car into a garage, use a hairdryer, dehumidifier and a warm environment to clear the condensation and then use the following type of kit to seal the cracks:  https://www.blufixx.com/products/blufixx-smart-repair-special-set-headlight-clear/?lang=en   Once sealed it should be good and it "should" be fine for the MOT as the damage is not in the projection area.

Yeah I was looking into these cracks and they are definitely looking like a problem with the material rather than chips from stones, appearing on both headlights kind of confirms that. 

Thanks for the link I will try sealing the other one at least and try to get rid of the moisture. The car is still under extended warranty, not sure if they will allow this to be claimed but will have a try.

Good luck 🙂

Those lights are flaming expensive and also the fitting and alignment is a major undertaking.

Another option.....   If you noticed these cracks following an event like driving along behind a tractor and you recall that all sorts of stones were thrown up in the air then your comprehensive insurance may cover it also.  Maybe even a smart repair from one of the windscreen firms for £50???

• Like 1

That is a good call, I might try some of these smart repair companies. To be honest probably the cracks appeared mainly because I had my tyres pumped to 39psi for when the car was fully loaded for long haul and then forgetting to put them back to normal. 

If pumping your tyres up (quite correctly) to 39psi causes the headlights to crack then that would come under "not fit for purpose" in my view.  🙂

More likely that it is a sub standard part. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/10/2022 at 17:24, Jest said:

That is a good call, I might try some of these smart repair companies. To be honest probably the cracks appeared mainly because I had my tyres pumped to 39psi for when the car was fully loaded for long haul and then forgetting to put them back to normal. 

My headlights have been replaced twice (yes, you read it correctly) under warranty due to these cracks. Still under warranty til 3/2023. Both times skoda accepted warrant claims without hesitation. Tire pressure can not be related. Im runnig third pair of headlights and fingers crossed wont happen again 

15 minutes ago, Arsen said:

My headlights have been replaced twice (yes, you read it correctly) under warranty due to these cracks. Still under warranty til 3/2023. Both times skoda accepted warrant claims without hesitation. Tire pressure can not be related. Im runnig third pair of headlights and fingers crossed wont happen again 

That sounds worrying, if you need to replace these every 1-2 years that would mean at least £1500 each time. Is it still your original warranty or extended? As I asked Norton Way ŠKODA Wandsworth whether they could replace them under my extended warranty and they said that is wear and tear.

28 minutes ago, Jest said:

That sounds worrying, if you need to replace these every 1-2 years that would mean at least £1500 each time. Is it still your original warranty or extended? As I asked Norton Way ŠKODA Wandsworth whether they could replace them under my extended warranty and they said that is wear and tear.

Regular 4 year warranty. Dunno about extended warranty (what are terms and whats covered and could they refused it or not) but to say its wear and tear is (excuse my french) bull****.  Dunno about UK but in my country, Skoda directly gives warranty, dealer usually take picutures and send them directly to skoda and they decide is it warranty job or not. 

Edited by Arsen

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, prathyush said:

Any way to increase the power of the led headlights as they r like dark in the night 

Well..there were some issues with LED headlights but power and brightness were not amongst those issues. They’re really good. Halogen’s are rubbish IMHO.  Are you sure that you talking about LED headlights? 

Edited by Arsen