Road noise solutions?

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has tried to remove some of the road noise from their Octavia?

I'm have some sound deadening put in the front doors for an audio upgrade and was wondering if it's worth attacking the rear arches to try and quieten things somewhat?? Is seems it can be quite noisy in the back at speed? Maybe it's the flimsy 'parcel shelf' thing too? 

Hiya Tom,

If you have a Mk 3 VRS then I'd recommend getting the Audi sound resonance damper (harmonic damper) for the rear suspension! Takes 1 minutes to fit and once it's been worn in slightly it works a treat in reducing sound coming in from the rear suspension. Not perfect but well worth the money!

Details here - https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-retro-fit-the-rear-subframe-harmonic-damper-from-the-audi-a3-saloon-2013.369369/

Just make sure your rear suspension has the appropriate fitting holes before purchase!

• Like 2

On 19/10/2022 at 20:07, IsaacW-OctaviaVRS-Mk3 said:

Hiya Tom,

If you have a Mk 3 VRS then I'd recommend getting the Audi sound resonance damper (harmonic damper) for the rear suspension! Takes 1 minutes to fit and once it's been worn in slightly it works a treat in reducing sound coming in from the rear suspension. Not perfect but well worth the money!

Details here - https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-retro-fit-the-rear-subframe-harmonic-damper-from-the-audi-a3-saloon-2013.369369/

Just make sure your rear suspension has the appropriate fitting holes before purchase!

Very very interesting! I've seen things on BMW differentials and subframes but I can understand that with a differential, propshaft, driveshafts, etc. You would need counter weights. 

OP, as for sound deadening, there are a few threads. I cheaped out and bought a roll of stuff from eBay for a tenner and lined the boot. Has it done much? Not loads, maybe taken the edge off on motorway journeys. If you are going to do it, you would need to do the entire boot floor and both wheel arches and sides. It's not cheap but would make it much quieter.