4x4 Rear propshaft rubber donut replacement

As title suggests, I need to replace the rubber coupling that connects the rear prop to the haldex on my 2017 VRS TDI 4x4. I've sourced a replacement but can't seem to find any information on easiest way to replace. There appears to be centre bush going though the coupling which means you can't simply drop it out, meaning either the prop needs to go forward or the haldex move back.

Could anyone shed some light on the easiest way to replace this? I've read about lots of people taking it into the garage and it only being a couple of hours work?

Cheers 

2 minutes ago, teamt84 said:

As title suggests, I need to replace the rubber coupling that connects the rear prop to the haldex on my 2017 VRS TDI 4x4. I've sourced a replacement but can't seem to find any information on easiest way to replace. There appears to be centre bush going though the coupling which means you can't simply drop it out, meaning either the prop needs to go forward or the haldex move back.

Could anyone shed some light on the easiest way to replace this? I've read about lots of people taking it into the garage and it only being a couple of hours work?

Cheers 

Hi mate. 
what were the symptoms of this going. There are a couple vids on you tube about replacing I saw a while ago. Think the whole prop needs to come off !! 

3 minutes ago, Esseesse200 said:

Hi mate. 
what were the symptoms of this going. There are a couple vids on you tube about replacing I saw a while ago. Think the whole prop needs to come off !! 

No real symptoms as such, I had it on the ramp servicing/checking it over pre MOT and noticed the rubber connecting the outer metal ring is starting to fail so replacing now before it completely goes. Having said that, I do get a vibration over 60mph felt through the car and wheels all balanced etc so could be related.

I'll have a deep dive into YouTube, found a couple but they were showing you how to replace on a propshaft already removed and on a bench. That bit I can figure out 😂. I figured prop off is probably the way, think that looks like exhaust/heat shields all coming off to make room to get to front fixings.

Have another close look at the coupling in the areas where you consider the rubber is starting to fail, preferably against a new coupling but don't spend any money on one yet. Are the splits a regular wavy geometric line?

If so then your coupling is not failing at all, I drew the same conclusion on the CT (French MOT) ramp and drew it to the attention of the tester, I got a fail for my troubles although there were other things to do like a rusting exhaust sleeve.

When I recieved the new coupling I had ordered I found the exact same manufactured in fault line and the rigidity between the outer and inner annuli was the same as my old coupling, I had wasted my money, and like you wasted many hours researching how to get the propshaft out to do the job.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1