Transmission oil change.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere!!

My duties as Carer for my partner have meant that my car usage has been limited of late and my 2017 car is still in the low 20,000 miles. Looking at the various pieces of service advice I read that I should change the transmission oil at 5 years, irrespective of mileage.  Am I reading this correctly?

Yes that is correct.  Some DSG gearboxes need a service every 40,000 miles, and some newer ones need one at 80,000, or it's every 5 years.  Personally, I wouldn't risk it due to the costs of fixing such issues.

• Confused 1

There is no DSG that has oil changes by year.     There are 40,000 intervals or DQ381,s at 80,000 miles.   If anyone has a VW group schedule showing as at 5 years please link in.   DQ200 DSG have no oil change schedule, guidelines or recommendations. 

• Like 1

Thanks for that info Roottoot - my long years of messing about with cars told me that it was odd or (more likely) my mis-reading of the info. 

There is also a change of brake fluid every two years that sounds  a bit OTT. My classic cars have Four Dot fluid!!

• Like 1

First brake fluid change at 3 years and then each 2.    You can test brake fluid for H2o.   Hardly over the top.  Nobody knows if the car is parked at seaside, up a mountain or in a city.   There servicing and maintenance is purely recommendations and about having people check cars.  Ignore as and when you want.  Or check things.  Many leave to MOT,s to find faults and never service anything. 

• Like 2

People often go by the easy to read 'dumbed down' table that shows 1year, 10k.... 2years, 20k.... ect... and at 40k/4years it shows DSG so people assume that.

Depending on box some have lifetime oil, some have 40k with filter, others 80k no filter. None technically have a timed interval. 

When i say dumbed down - generally for the front of house sales rep without any knowledge on cars but lots of knowledge of selling and graphs 

Edited by ApertureS
  • Like 2