CV Boot Dumb Question

cello

I've never done a CV boot change before but having attempted to do mine today I noticed that the replacement boot was too dam small for the job......

The boot was a Borg  and Beck bcb1002 part supposedly compatible to use on the outer wheel , mine the N/S left outer but the boot looks far too small to fit over the CV joint, not sure if the boot is a stretchy one designed to fit but the steel strap looks way too small to fit over the ball joint anyway, its about 80mm where the old one is about 105mm, not sure if I need to purchase another as I dont want to get my hands dirty a third time ........any ideas please?

It's not a dumb question. What you have bought is a universal stretch boot. They are designed so that you don't have to pull the CV joint off the shaft but are meant to be installed over the whole thing using a stretch tool (might be possible without the tool but could be a tedious struggle). Personally,I find stretch boots to be rubbish & won't use them.

sss556667k.png

ttt76566u.png

Edited by TMB

Either way, you are going to need a new driveshaft nut as they are intended to be used only once. If using the proper steel bands to secure the CV boot, they need to be tensioned then crimped using a crimping tool. Seen people use nylon cable ties instead but, personally, I'm not a fan of that at all.

Genuine Skoda boot kit with all the bits is part number 6Q0 498 203 B. You can also buy similar aftermarket kits on ebay, etc.

ggg678k.png

Edited by TMB

hey thanks for the quick response, my plan was to remove the ball joint anyway as I did not intentionally buy a stretch boot.

I guess if the larger strap would adapt to the right size it should work but yes was looking for a like for like replacement to save any extra hassle.

Third time lucky I guess and  yes its a messy job  but at least the bolts are now free and easy to remove.....

Who needs to go to the gym when you have older car to maintain!

• Like 1

You'll also find that the genuine CV boot clips are massively thicker/stronger than the ones that are supplied by the aftermarket.

As changing the boot is quite an involved and messy job i've always fitted genuine for the peace of mind especially knowing how poor the aftermarket stuff is, bugger doing a job twice

• Like 3

Cheers for the advice, you cant buy experience but you can certainly listen to the Briskodia gang!

I will have another go this weekend if the weather holds and I have a CV ball joint removal tool now , so what can go wrong.......:)

Never fitted a cv boot before, managed to source a genuine VW/Skoda boot in damaged box for £6 quid or so, managed to fit it after removing drive shaft from the car.

Definitely thick substantial boot material. 

Edited by kentdale
more text

hey thanks for the quick response, my plan was to remove the ball joint anyway as I did not intentionally buy a stretch boot.

I guess if the larger strap would adapt to the right size it should work but yes was looking for a like for like replacement to save any extra hassle.

Third time lucky I guess and  yes its a messy job  but at least the bolts are now free and easy to remove.....

Who needs to go to the gym when you have older car to maintain!

PS still waiting for a good day to do the boot, maybe tmrw if it stops pishing it down grrrrr

BONZA! I finally did the CV boot today, had some spare time and the weather was good for crawling around on the pavement, well it did rain briefly but by that time I was covered in grease and quite warm from wrestling with my greasy boot!

I concur with you all dont buy a stretch boot , they are a pain to get on the ball joint when you have grease everywhere!

Ii had to use my breaking bar to wind the ball joint off and that took quite a lot of pressure before it pinged off, glad i bought the removal tool as no doubt I would have failed to get the thing off with a hammer.

Thanks for your assistance and now I need to re-visit the MOT test station, fingers crossed :)

• Like 2