Dead passenger doors

KiNeL

Had a fun yesterday morning sorting out the passenger doors which had become bereft of all functions, windows, central locking, mirror control -  unfortunately with the front window down!

It happened on Sunday evening when wife was in the passenger seat and had let the window down whilst I'd stopped to pick a package up from the local Amazon locker, no trouble prior to that although the car has had a couple of Door Control Module faults, 01332 & 01334', ever since I've had it plus a couple of faults on the heating & AC but none of them producing any actual issues other than an intermittent refusal of the tailgate to resister as having been opened resulting in the doors relocking after 30 seconds or so which I'd assumed was something to do with the actual tailgate catch.

I checked the fuses but nothing there so turned my attention to the next likely culprit - the wires between passenger door to the A post - and sure enough found the two thinnest ones broken,

Needing more room to repair them I took the door card off and unclipped the loom which allowed me to pull it through about another 6" or so when I also able to observe that someone had been there before me evidenced by the now exposed section of loom being copiously wrapped in black electrical tape although oddly when I peeled that all off I found no evidence of any previous repairs, looks like someone may have been looking for a problem expecting to find it there but had been wrong.

Anyway having repaired the wires, and rewrapped using proper loom tape, everything sprang back to life and a subsequent CARISTA scan and reset gave a total clean bill of health including, as far as I'm able to tell so far, a fix of  the intermittent tailgate fault.

Clearly one of those wires must have been broken for some time, possibly before I bought the car as I only bought the CARISTA maybe 6 months ago so had no knowledge of any standing faults prior to that, but the second one going was curtains and I wonder if the previous taping up had put an unnatural strain on them although why they chose to use such ridiculously thin wires in the first place is a mystery?

Looking at the wiring schematics the wires (orange with green tracer and orange with brown) go to the door control module and are annotated CANL-K and CANH-K which I'm guessing means they are something to do with the CAN BUS.

20221024_101827.jpg

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

Believe me that tape was NOT original!

I haven't looked at the other side yet but it's on my list of jobs to do, I don't think I'll be stripping the door 

Having done a bit more research on CAN Bus I can confirm that those two wires are indeed CAN High and CAN Low so with both broken there would have been zero communication with the doors. 

1 hour ago, KiNeL said:

Believe me that tape was NOT original!

OK, no need to shout. Did you get any pics?

Some Skoda looms can feature a lot of what just looks like standard black insulation tape e.g. from an ebay listing picked just now:

Screenshot 2022-10-25 13.30.50.png