What is this, and is this sound normal?

OBR

Hello!

Just bought myself a lovely 2012 diesel Fabia Monte Carlo. Lovely car, but I am aware of the looming threat of doom from these engines. Such is life. 

However, I’ve noticed this sound coming from the engine, almost like a clicking/buzzing sound. Can anyone tell me what this is, what the sound means, if it’s part of its normal operation, or if I’m needing to replace it. 

Thanks in advance!

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

Hi, welcome, sorry but the link doesn't open for me, perhaps you have to make the link available to be viewed by others but I don't know, seen this issues before with such links but can't remember how it was resolved.

I doubt if I'd know what the noise is but others here might/would.

Edited by nta16
ETA: Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.
  • Like 1

Ah! My apologies! I’ve attached a photo of the part. Popped the code into Google and apparently it’s a turbo pressure converter.

If the video doesn’t load for anybody else, the best I can describe the buzz is a) intermittent and b) sounds like a quiz buzzer, so it will go “BZZT… BZZT BZZT”. No rhyme or reason as to when this buzzing starts, sometimes when the car starts, when it stops, sometimes not at all. 

F97FD4BB-F200-4BF5-AC97-46152DD7227C.thumb.jpeg.d44127267fb00f01af60953ae98fecd8.jpeg

the original link / video worked fine for me, you now know what it is, whether they are supposed to make that noise ie continually operate I'm not sure, need someone else with an oil burner to confirm.

I suspect it's normal operation.

31 minutes ago, KeithCheetham said:

Don't you want him to check the battery as the photo shows wires going into it. 😂

We'll have to see, perhaps later.  😉  Unless you've seen the video and you think it's some sort of audible early warning for the battery getting low, I still can't open the link. 

Oooh the plot thickens! It’s got a tonne of history, invoices etc, but nothing for a new battery, so maybe! 

@nta16, I’ve uploaded it as an unlisted YouTube video. Appreciate you still might not know the answer, but hopefully you can open the link for this one. 

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

You've obviously at least one generation newer than me as you use the metric tonne and hold the phone in portrait. 😊  (You'll get more image and info into a a landscape shot generally).

The sound is more clicking to me or something like trying striking a match against the rough surface of the matchbox, to me not being mechanical that doesn't sound right, as if it's failing to start its operation but as I put I'm not an expert in anything.  I'd carefully use a stethoscope, well funnel and bit of hose to the ear and item, to check the noise is from the item and possibly where on the item.

The bit about the battery is just a bit of micky-taking, well more often ****-taking or even sometimes anger, as I often suggest a car battery being too low despite it starting the car and the lights seeming bright enough can cause the VW computers and computer programs to throw up all sorts of unexpected problems.  And I prefer taking the battery off the car to recharge in perhaps better and more stable conditions inside (many cars aren't garaged) and the recharge to be long, low and slow on a suitable battery charger to be more effective, this really annoys some and others think the car settings will collapse and all sorts of trouble will ensue but the Owner's Manuals seem to me to say different.

There, you've forced me to set 'em offt agen. 🤣 

• Haha 1

I’ll take that for feeling like a young man again 😂 great idea, appreciated! I’ll try to film in landscape next time one of these crops up. 

Appreciate your advice too, I think it’s worth getting checked out. It sounded a bit off, but didn’t want to mug myself off getting it replaced when it’s just meant to sound like that. 

Won’t broach the battery subject on account of being a newbie, but if you asked me again, I’d agree with you 😉

• Haha 1

Wait and see what other much more knowledgeable than me posters think of your video, they'll probably be along tonight and over the weekend, they have tonnes and tons of experience and knowledge. 

Keep off the other subject unless really required or 'they' will say I've brainwashed disciples and rightly try an intervention to cure you.  🤣 😇 😈

• Haha 1