Fitting Variable Boot Floor to Scala

Dave_75

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello, I'm really aiming this at Dave-75 and Seasider who seem to have done a lot of work and provided narrative, photos and dimensions to help others.  My wife is taking delivery of a new ( old spec) Kamiq in the next few days. We bought this as a pre-spec'ed car, which is all that you can currently get, but did want a variable height floor  and so will need to retrofit it. 

I've got hold of the necessary part numbers and am on the verge of ordering these from skoda-parts.com in the Czech Republic ( anybody used them, any comments gratefully received) but before I do so have a couple of queries. It seems to be the case that I don't need to buy new sidewall panels and that the only difference between pre-mod and post mod panels are the cut outs for the forward floor guides and lashing rings ( I can handle those). I also understand that there may or not be the existing structural provisions for the guide rails. What I'm not exactly sure of is other than the forward guide rails how the floor is supported at the tailgate end. I am assuming that it is supported on the lip of the the tailgate sill trim and by moulding at the end of the side wall panels.

However I have seen none of this and am currently not very mobile after some major orthopaedic surgery. When my wife went to dealership to finalise the purchase yesterday I had her take some photos of the boot. I have annotated those photos with my queries and attach both plain and annotated photos to this post. My wife  thought the right hand side panel was angled but I think she is  confused by the angle section going forward to cover the wheel arch and at floor level the sidewall panel is vertical or near vertical if that makes sense.

I would be very grateful if either of the two named members or anyone else that has the variable height floor could take a look at these and  answer / provide photos of the back lower back end ( ie with the floor out) of the sidewall panels of a car with the variable floor. Although I understand that the Scala is more or less identical to a Kamiq I would be more interested in the Kamiq variant.

My understanding of the parts required is:

Variable boot floor:

658861411 WR9 boot floor plate 

657864511 9B9 Side panel left 

657864512 9B9 Side panel right 

8V0863503 C4PK x 2 lashing eye

N 10751101 Oval Hexagon socket head bolt x2

658867427 B WR9 luggage compartment trim left  -  modify from existing panel

658867428 E WR9 luggage compartment trim right - modify from existing panel

Regards

Ado

Variablefloorplain.thumb.jpg.81d92dadc0efef9528b40d9a0aaf866a.jpgVariablefloortext.jpg.bdf9724e109d73e5b2a43ffa9262121d.jpg

Variablefloor(1)plain.thumb.jpg.b879b1b5eb31b8a537505a3316b1be62.jpgVariablefloor(1)text.jpg.3f574d197c344633cd37c22db1ee56ef.jpg

Variablefloor(2)plain.thumb.jpg.32bc0989fe2b1209962293e9e62aca07.jpgVariablefloor(2)text.jpg.cb625c2547724c04b33e0fd029e4c77d.jpg

hello. i am from slovakia (scala owner) so regarding the skoda-parts website its originally czech website skoda dily.cz and i order from them now and then with no issues-except for the pricey delivery (at least for us haha) but i imagine its gonna cost you even more. if you are going to buy all the parts from them its gonna be an expensive retrofit so if i were you i would first check a local scrapyard/wrecking yard at least thats what we do here and thats how i bought the floor for 50 EUR instead of 150.

Regarding other questions you had and material list...

lashing eyes-i bought them as well but you would have to disassemble the side carpets to actually see if in the cars body theres a hole with thread or you could use a needle to pinch the side carpet and find it that way...

you need 4 bolts not 2. 2 are on each side so 4 in total. i advise to buy one extra just in case something goes wrong.

side panels has rails so you will "slide" the VBF into them and then you simply "let it sit" and yes on the other side (tailgate) it sits on top of that small lip.

also be aware that most likely ur gonna have just 3 out of 4 holes present in cars body for attaching the side trims with bolts. if so, you can still use it with 3 bolts only or you can drill a hole to cars body with a thread for the 4th one or use a wood and glue it to the cars body, its up to you.

oh and BTW everything is vertical and yes that small part of carpet on both corners of the lip are supporting the VBF as well. VBF is in fact in direct contact with side carpets. in the evening i could take some pictures for you.

Edited by viviak
general correction

Hi

I responded a few mins ago - I think both I and Viviak were typing at the same time! Not sure why I can't see my post here.

But there are bits here that I hadn't noticed on the direct message. I think you have the correct part number for the floor. I didn't bother changing the side panels. I considered it was going to be too much of a job! So I didn't bother changing the side lashings either. So I haven't any when the floor is in the raised position, but I can drop the floor if need be and use them. There are ones in the rear of the seats if need be. To be honest I have had them in the last few cars and never found that I needed to use them so not bothered.

I thought about getting a second hand one from a scrap yard (just like the good old days) but attempted a few and gave up. I thought the chance of finding a Scala would be difficult enough let alone one with a variable floor!!

The Bristol people (https://skodapartsdirect.co.uk/) couldn't supply the bolts but found they were standard M6 bolts so just went to the local hardware store.

As Viviak says I found holes for only 3 out of the 4 bolts - so I used wood and glue rather than drilling through the floor panel etc.

Also as Viviak says the clip for bags is now too low - but the Kamiq may be OK.

As I said in my other post I found the Bristol people excellent and the cost of postage is a lot less than sourcing overseas (now that I have noticed that you are in the UK).

about the bolts...its little bit tricky to buy them here in former czechoslovakia as well-the only website offering them its skoda-dily cz(skoda-parts.com) but if you dont mind to actually visit dealer, they can order them anytime its just a package of 10 and each for around 2 EUR but if you ahve a good relationship with them its not a problem to buy just 4...anyway dave is right and u can use standard M6

about hooks i would not be so optimistic :D AFAIK when it comes to boot size the difference is in length from back seats to tailgate not in height so...

boot floor number is definitelly a correct one 

btw dave i have always been wondering about that glued wood for 4th bolt...its seems to me as very easy solution but not suitable in case you need to remove the side panels afterwards, lets say to access the wires behind for another retrofit etc... if you did i think the bolt would not hold that well again in the wood. there would have to be a thread in that wood actually?

image.png.501b57670ada7d014e7f5d1cd8e12cd9.png

Yes I would agree the wood and glue was a bit of a bodge but I managed to get it to thread itself when putting the bolt in so it is holding fine. I'm sure it wouldn't cope with unbolting!!

Hi Dave and Vivak, I tried to respond to you individually but could only send one private message a day which went to Dave ,hence this reply. Ive also been a bit rough today so missed Daves recommendation as to a parts provider, I will try them before I firm up my order.  I think the information and pointers you have both given me are  very useful and don't think anyone needs to send any additional photos, I've got the mod clear in my head now.

Vivak, noted the comments re prices and bolts, thanks. So far even with shipping the parts they  are coming in about 20% cheaper than I've managed to locate in the UK. I would agree that breakers would be a good source but have nothing locally so can only put a request out via various web sites but nothing has come  back so far.

Silly me my wife is picking the car up tomorrow, I thought it was a few days away!!  When I can I will go and have a poke about in the sidewalls  or better still get my son to do it with the suggested needle and see what provisions are hiding behind them. Once I'm back on my feet if there's anything missing I'll probably drop the side panels and put a bit of lightweight structure in for the missing attachment locations. 

Again very many thanks for your help.

Ado