Fitting Variable Boot Floor to Scala

Dave_75

I have seen a number of posts from people wanting to fit of a variable boot floor after the car has been purchased. Dealers will not do this work. I have seen the difficulty people have had getting the parts. I have just fitted one to my Scala with no problems after the initial problem of getting the wrong boot floor.

The parts required are: left and right trims to attach to bodywork Parts S6578 645 129 B9 (right) AND S6578 645 119 B9 (left). boot floor S657 861 411 WR9 (not the often quoted S658 861 411 WR9 which is for a Kamiq). I did not bother with the replacement side panels nor the new restraint lugs as I don't tend to use these and existing lower ones are retained anyway.

I had to order the bolts separately as Skoda did not supply these. They are standard M6x20mm black bolts with Alum key heads. I needed to add washers.

I cut through the lining and found the bolt holes for the bolts were already there for three out of the four bolts needed. The rear one on the near side was missing for some reason. So I no-nailed some wood to the panel and bolted into this. I cut the holes in the trim wide enough for the supports (25mm will do the job). I cut out the boot side liners round the restraint lugs so the side trim fits right to the metal on the sides. I then cut the existing floor mat  so that it fitted round the new corner trims and can be lifted to gain access to the spare wheel. Bingo, all done and works a treat just like a factory fit.

I attach a couple of photos. I have others if people are interested. Cheers

1156215500_Offsidefrontbolthole.thumb.JPG.1f880bab2ff92b6bf5f7bd1abbb970ae.JPG

New nearside bracket fitted, secured nad carpet trimmed.JPG

• john999boy changed the title to Fitting Variable Boot Floor to Scala
  • 2 months later...

Hi Dave.

Where did you purchase the brackets? (S6578 645 129 B9 and S6578 645 119 B9) 

I'm in NZ. None of the dealers here seem to be interested. Would appreciate some help on this.

If I can't purchase the original parts I was thinking of having them machined from plastic. I've already modelled the left side based on your photos (thanks). The floor itself I would make from... something and cover with car trim material.

Thanks.

Hi Dave

I had the same reaction from dealers here in UK - even their parts departments when I first asked. But I found a dealer that did parts online and their website had the parts for the VBF! So I purchased them from them. The site is: https://skodapartsdirect.co.uk/ . Any chance there is a dealer in NZ that does on online?

I can;t imagine it will be worth the shipping cost to NZ from UK I am afraid. The boot floor is quite bulky obviously. Shipping the corner rests may not be too bad!

Have you tried asking a parts department for the parts - just giving the part number and not saying what they are? The people I ordered from said they were not in stock in UK and would have to be ordered from Czech, and they would be on back order and so may be a few months. I said I would wait and low and behold they were here within 5 days!!!

I can take the rests out and take some measurements and more photos if you want.

The bolts are just 20mm/M6 bolts with black button, Allen heads. I got from Amazon.

Any chance you have friends in UK coming to visit you?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I've tried a couple of local dealers. Radio silence. Might try Sydney or Melbourne next. I expect shipping from the UK to be about 50pounds for the brackets.

The actual floor, I'll probably make myself once I have the brackets installed.

I'll give the locals another week to respond, then might take you up on your offer of photos and dims.

Don't have any friends/family in the UK.

Was it difficult removing the boot liner over the wheel arches? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dave.

Hi Dave

No problem.

I could believe that the corner trims are the same for several cars/SUVs so would be tempted to try and see if you could get confirmation from a parts department what the part no is for higher cargo floor corner trims for Karoq, Octavia, Kodiaq etc using the part numbers I quoted in my first post -i.e. SKU 65786445129B9 and SKU 65786445119B9. I attach a snip from online parts dealer I got my corner trims from.

Whereabouts are you in NZ? I have a couple of contacts in NZ and I know a few people here with family in NZ. May be worth asking. The corner trims are not big and I think I might be able to persuade them to take a pair across if they are visiting!

I did not take the side trims off. I had a look and decided it was far too much effort and I might not get all the trim back as well as it fitted from new. So I drilled a pilot hole (about 1/8in) and checked that there was a bolt hole beneath then I used a 3/4in wood bit to cut out the carpet around the pilot hole to gain access to the bolt hole. You need to do this as the corner trim fittings sit through the carpet. I found that there were three out of the 4 bolt holes ready and waiting. The left/rear bracket and associated bolt hole was not there!! So I simply "no nailed" some wood, the right thickness and larger than the hole, against the chassis and bolted through onto this. If had to cut the carpet out around the luggage restraint clip so that the trim fitted against the chassis (this gave me the access for the piece of wood mentioned above). I then had to cut the boot floor carpet slightly to fit over the corner trims. 

I would think carefully about the variable floor itself if you wanted to lower it and have it at the lower position as it has to have some sections that "hinge" to allow for this. There is the front section that hinges and slides up on the corner trims and then there are small sections at the rear that allow you to tilt the floor upwards. They have to flex to go past the shopping bag carrying hooks. They are then cleverly designed to wedge into the notches on the side trim, that normally hold up the rear parcel shelf, and support the floor while you put anything underneath. The floor is made from a lightweight composite material to make the handling easier for you but support reasonable loads.

I was disappointed with t he reaction when I asked about having the option fitted in a dealership or even getting the parts. What would happen if you had a VBF fitted as an optional extra at first build and then had an accident and someone shunted you you the rear and the VBF was shattered? They must be able to get parts. And my order using the dealership at Swindon has proved it!!

I have a lot more photos but it would be best to send using normal email or file transfer. Not sure what the rules are for that??!!

Cheers

Dave

Corner Trims.JPG

Hi Dave.

Thanks for the pics. I didn't realise the parts would be so affordable.

I will contact the company you supplied the name of, and see if they'll post to NZ.

I'm in Tauranga. About 120miles southwest of Auckland. 

I'm taking the Scala to Auckland on Friday for a service, so I'll ask them one last time about the VBF parts.

My contact is *****@*****.tld.

Thanks again for your amazing help and time. 

Which Scala do you have? I know the options and varieties differ between here and there so model names probably don't mean much. Mine is a Style (which I know is available there) but doesn't have the same features you would get there. 1.5litre, no sunroof. Adaptive cruise. No self parking. No Satnav. Cloth seats. 18" wheels.

hello to both of you,

First of all-i have come across the same problem as dave75. in fact i had 4 holes drilled but the one was without a thread (left side) so i could not mount a bolt there so i kept it empty for now.

if i recall correctly-originally there is "extra metal plate" welded to the cars body with the hole and thread for the bolt. my idea was to drill two holes (instead of welding) and attach the home made metal plate with screw rivets. i have to say that the no-nail (glue) solution is definitely a better one so thanks for the tip.

regarding the bolts (black one with built in washer)-in SVK/CZ republic you can order any amount even though when dealer is ordering it theres 10pcs in one package. there is also different bolt under the same number (in other stores)-its almost the same but no built in washer, different color...

regarding the parts-once again in CZ/SVK there was no problem to order the parts from a local dealer-the delivery took only 2 days (bolts, supports+eye lashes).

the floor itself was quite expensive but i managed to get one for 70 EUR only-it was taken out from a car-perfect condition (spare parts store in CZ republic) so the overall cost for me was like 110 EUR for the whole variable boot floor.

i can also recommend the website: https://www.oemvwshop.com/ if i am not mistaken they are based in CZ but they do deliver to the whole word so u can order everything there.

in spring i will have to deal with those eye lashes. but i am woried there wont be any dedicated holes drilled-the only way to know for sure without dissassembling anything(side trims) is probably to take a needle and see whether it hits the metal sheet or not. anyway for the time being i dont really need them.

Hi Vivian.

I must be a bit thick.

I have been to both the web sites recommended, with no luck.

Both sites turn up nothing when searching by part number.

I've tried various descriptions as well, again with no luck.

Any advice?

I own another vehicle and regularly purchase items by part number. Why 

Hi Dave_99

How did you get on with the dealer in Auckland? My two contacts are both down near Wellington but one option might be to see if they are coming over or friends are going over there. I could get the two bits here and ask them to post them to you when they get to NZ. They are light. I have a couple of other people to ask yet. Let me know if you want to me to go consider going down that route.

Hi Viv

I originally got a floor with the part no you quote (658861411WR9) but found this was not the correct one (not deep enough and not correct curvature at the back - think it may be for a Kamiq). I found the correct part no is 657861411WR9 (just a subtle change in the third character - but all the difference!). I like your prices!! A lot better than UK prices. I also like your idea of finding a replacement I presume from what we would call a "scrap" car dealer. I tried a few searches but couldn't find any one advertising a part and I thought the chance of finding one was low since so few people take up the option of having the VBF fitted when ordering one. When I was looking for my car there 44 second hand Scalas for sale on the UK market of the age we wanted and only 1 had a VBF, and there were only 2 with panoramic roof (neither had the VBF) so we went for one of the latter and then set about fitting my own VBF - thought it might be easier than fitting a panoramic rook 🤣😂👍 

Hi dave,

i have to say i am surprised there are two types of variable boot floors. AFAIK i got mine based on the info from the kamiq thread and its fits perfectly even though my car is not kamiq but scala. i checked the number you provided and sure it exists.

there is no "shape" difference of floor itself but those pictures are not precise...but there are small differences when it comes to other parts related to VBF. maybe it depends on model year or engine? dunno. mine is 2022.

image.thumb.png.3ae0efc0eb64fdfdd4b4b07b780a040c.pngimage.thumb.png.7f068d39739245c640751945d741dbfb.png

Hi Viv
The plot thickens?

I definitely had size and shape difference when they sent me Part No: 658861411WR9.

These are the photos when I dropped this boot floor into my car, showing it was about 100mm short at each side and about 125mm short in the middle so length and curvature were wrong!!

When they supplied Part No: 657861411WR9 all was well.

Dave

Front fitting.JPG

Ruler at centre.JPG

Ruler at end.JPG

• Like 1

i think i have found the culprit :DD

all the components except for the VBF itself i ordered at the skoda dealer-i had numbers from briskoda, they confirmed it and that was it

i had the 658861411WR9 from kamiq post and after a loft of search i found one (from "scrap car"). the thing is when i found the website that was selling those spare parts from scrap cars i was no longer searching it by the number but simply by the name "skoda scala" so i did not check whether the numbers are matching.

I have checked the invoice now and can confirm that i also bought the 657861411WR9. your measurements explain it all since the kamiq boot is shorter and has less capacity-which was one of the reasons why i went for the scala.

image.png.7bbc6ed32d668e7b58ba75c546b800ab.png

...so i can confirm:

657861411WR9 skoda scala

658861411WR9 skoda kamiq

Hi Viv

Great - I think that will help anyone else looking to get the correct floor. I am really impressed that you managed to get one from a scrap car and a good price. I had the same idea and tried searching a bit here in the UK but with no success. I couldn't find a site which would allow me to identify specific parts or models. I think they expect me to drive and ask them or spend ages on the phone with them!!

7 hours ago, viviak said:

Hi dave,

i have to say i am surprised there are two types of variable boot floors. AFAIK i got mine based on the info from the kamiq thread and its fits perfectly even though my car is not kamiq but scala. i checked the number you provided and sure it exists.

there is no "shape" difference of floor itself but those pictures are not precise...but there are small differences when it comes to other parts related to VBF. maybe it depends on model year or engine? dunno. mine is 2022.

/cdn-cgi/mirage/d86055baa6645afb27d5d6ef3d3326feb3b3723f33def44cd5ee6e8ea6d9e48b/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_02/image.thumb.png.3ae0efc0eb64fdfdd4b4b07b780a040c.png/cdn-cgi/mirage/d86055baa6645afb27d5d6ef3d3326feb3b3723f33def44cd5ee6e8ea6d9e48b/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_02/image.thumb.png.7f068d39739245c640751945d741dbfb.png

The Kamiq and scala have both the exact same interiors it’s just the body that differs 

I am surprised that there would be a narrower variofloor, I had one in the MK1 Octavia where all of the Elegance models and others had them as standard, therefore there were loads in the breakers yards, I modified MK1 variofloors to fit both my MK2 Octavia and the Yeti, on the former I had only the rear radius to alter, on the latter that and the length but even that was an exact fit using 2 out of the 3 sections, all 3 cars had exactly the same distance of 1m between the wheelarches and the variofloor width was the same on all of them.

When looking at other Skodas like Roomsters I found they all had identical widths, is the Superb wider?

Edited by J.R.

regarding the width-yes thats a common knowledge that many skoda models have the same or very similar width-which is around 100cm. i am sure u can find the superb boot width on the internet

...even though scala and kamiq do share the interior (cost saving by skoda) there are some notable differencies-as mentioned above the boot is one of them but there are others that can be found in "ETKA" which is electronic catalogue of parts-at least thats what we call it slovakia/czech...

Edited by viviak

Hi Dave.

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I've come across another chap living here who has family coming down to NZ soon. I've been trying to contact him, but he's away on holiday.

I'm going to see if he can source the brackets and get them to me. If not, then I'll definitely take you up on your offer.

Also, I'm going to go into the local dealership tomorrow arvo and give them the part numbers face to face, as I notice that Skoda NZ is in fact advertising the VBF on it's website!

I'll let you know how I get on in the next few days.

Oh yeah. Tauranga is southeast of Auckland. Not southwest as I wrote previously. Also, postage for a shoebox size box from Welly is only about 9 pounds. So very easy to do.

• 1 month later...

Hi Dave.

Received my VBF today. I ordered it from Czech. Saved $500 over what the local dealer was offering.

I can also confirm that the left side rear tapped hole is not on my vehicle either.

The issue I have is with the cargo nets. My car came with them, (and I think they're great) but I can't figure out how they attach now that the VBF is installed. Looks like it is either the VBF or the nets. Not very clever.

Any thoughts?

Dave 

u should have ordered hooks as well (num.14 from etka-my reply above). hard to say whether its possible to mount them since there can be missing holes as well so u either have to remove the whole panel or u could try to pierce the carpet with a pin lets say to see whether there is a hole-if yes, you would cut a hole in carpet and assemble the hooks-i have ordered them just in case but never installed.

image.png.ee7c709b20d921cd078e536927e0c3b2.png

image.png.e465f8fa1a62f86b4f3bf43e37ac947d.png

image.thumb.png.3bfbbf06d13f52a6ee48af474bf4ed4b.png

nope. i intend to keep them just in case. they were pretty cheap if i recall correctly-problem for u could be that u are from NZ...since i am from slovakia it was very easy to order it-i had it like in couple of days no shipping cost since it was ordered from skoda Czech.

I also have a net which attaches to the side (not behind the rear seats as the large one does). It also has had its capacity reduced because of the VBF.  There does not appear to be a position where a hook could mount above the VBF as there is a plastic cover in the way.  See photo.

At the moment the rear of the net is attached to a hook which is now below the VBF.

Scala Boot Net.jpg