Brake Fluid Change intervals

MCG1975

Afternoon all

Apologies if this is noted somewhere already, but I've tried searching the forum and also looked in the service/user book and can't get a clear answer.

Does anyone know what the service interval for getting the brake fluid changed in the Mk4 is?  I had a text from the dealership saying mine was due, but given they texted a couple of months after my last service saying it was due for another service, I'm not sure how much I trust that!  The car is 23 months old and had it's 20k service in April 2022 but they didn't change the fluid then.  It's now on about 32k.  If it matters the car is a 2 litre TDi.

If it's due fair enough, I just wanted to be sure I'm not taking it in unnecessarily that's all.  Thanks for any guidance.

• Like 1

It has been at 3 years then each 2 years for a decade now with Skoda in the UK.

As a guideline, recommendation, suggestion, even a schedule, even though cars with a Service Plan or FULL MAIN DEALER SERVICING might not have had Brake Fluid changes as per Manufacturers Recommendations.

The Brake Fluid can be tested for H2o content.

(The EV's so Citigo iV & Enyaq service intervals might well now be for a brake fluid change at 2 years. )

DSG Services are not done my years.  

AC Service. well you decide.

The Pollen filter needs looked at, maybe cleaned, or replaced and a clean up done.

I would do that yourself and not give the £35 to a main dealership. 

922218293_Screenshot2022-09-2115_58_57.jpg.3711dc86397a804fc83f268add4ae736.jpg

1039190636_Screenshot2021-09-29at07_53_36.jpg.994d2b104123865330d493df0f73629e.jpg

1025295341_Screenshot2021-09-29at07_53_17.jpg.f3e4a6dc63cb89105f9b1ac440bb1614.jpg

Edited by roottoot

Basically it is a sealed system, so shouldn’t absorb moisture.

Skoda have never explained why the fluid from the factory lasts 3 years plus delivery time (3 - 3.5 years) whereas the replacement (apparently identical) fluid only lasts 2 years.   Doesn’t make sense to me.

as @roottoot has said, can be tested for moisture, to see if it has degraded.

To be honest, the Skoda recommended intervals of changing some items, and ignoring others, regardless of if you live in cold of Scandinavia, heat of Southern Europe, or a wet Maritime country seems to be based more on avoiding warranty claims, than actually applying and explaining a scientific reason.

• Groan 1

Brake fluid is hygroscopic.     

Some never change brake fluid, say they never have. That is their business. Luck ij many cases. 

It makes sense to change brake fluid. 

It makes sense to test it. 

H2o content means that that water causes steam in the system, there is a different boiling point and expansion. 

Nobody knows how others use cars, often getting hot brakes, maybe then crossing fords, driving flooded roads etc,  living or parking by the sea. 

1 hour ago, MCG1975 said:

Does anyone know what the service interval for getting the brake fluid changed in the Mk4 is?

Which doesn't actually matter. 2 years, then use a hygrometer to check the water content every 6 or 12 months until you do a change. Then back to 2 years and start with the hygrometer testing again.

• Like 1

When cars are not on fixed / annual servicing that is how it can be.

In the UK they have never really thought out the changing from Fixed or Minor & Major servicing to variable / flexible.

The first MOT is at 3 years, the manufacturers warranty expires at 3 years.

Brake Fluid first change shows as at 3 years, so does Haldex at 3 years or 30,000 miles,  The VAQ diff would as well if they every remember to remind anyone including dealership staff. 

The other thing is with a 1.4 TSI iV PHEV they have the oil & filter changes as @ 9,400 miles / 12 months so cars are going to be in every year or sooner.

922218293_Screenshot2022-09-2115_58_57.jpg.3711dc86397a804fc83f268add4ae736.jpg

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

Thanks for everyone's responses.  While the car is only 2 years old, it has done 32,000 miles so by the chart above on the maintenance cycle I'm guessing that then triggers the fluid change.  We've now had a flyer in the post advising to get it done too, so I think I will enquire - it's a company car so not coming out of my pocket but I still don't want to spend the money unnecessarily.  That said, I think I'm getting a slight bit of judder when braking as well so probably best to get it all sorted together.