Clicking/ticking sound

Bris_Yeti

I’ve got a weird clicking/ticking sound when accelerating hard in 2nd gear, less volume in 3rd. 

At first I thought it was new front springs settling in, but we’re well past that now. 

it’s a 2.0 TDi with 175,000kms. First timing belt was done at 110,000kms. 

Is it a pulley, timing issue or maybe top strut bearings when unloading on acceleration??? 

5 hours ago, b1ackb1rd said:

I have horrible diesel knock with my crappy 1.6tdi 

Does it sound like a loud clock … tick tick tick as you accelerate?  

mine doesn’t do it on idle, or it’s too quiet 🤫 then. 

At low revs when pulling away from junctions it sounds like my knees first thing every morning 😂 there is a crackling noise. 

My old 1.9tdi Touran used to sound like someone rustling a brown paper bag, I suppose it depends on the levels of diesel crud in your intake.

I have a spare cleaned intake manifold and ASV assembly to fit when I get chance, I'm hoping that solves the issue. 

• Like 1

Sound seems to be coming from driver’s side, quite low in the engine bay. Now I’m wondering if it could be a drive shaft or cv joint???  What would they sound like if they we’re failing?? 

Hi

A worn driveshaft joint will tend to make more noise the more torque it's being asked to handle, so lower gears and more throttle are the severest test.

The traditional method was to open the window and listen for ticking/knocking while you drive round (slowly) on full lock so as to exercise the outer joint through a large angle

It doesn't take much free play to give noises, probably not enough slack to detect with the car up on ramps and the driveshaft grasped by hand.

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1