Wheel centre cap size?

Hi all

I drive a 2011 Skoda Octavia Scout, with 17" Proteus wheels. I need to replace one wheel centre cap, the Skoda logo'd plastic cap in the centre of the wheel. I did some Googling, decided it was 56mm, and bought a set. But they're just a bit too big to fit, I can't get them into the wheel, and nor can a garage I asked, in case I was being an idiot. I see there's also a 50mm version available, but that sounds too small. I looked at the pinned topic on identifying wheels and parts, but still couldn't figure out what I need. Can anyone confirm what size the centre caps should be for this car?

Thank you.

AFAIK this should be the part number you need.  I have looked around at the parts catalog several directions and cannot see anything else that is available.

6U0 601 151L   MHB

Where MHB is just a colour code, and as far as I can tell these should be 56mm.

• Thanks 1

Thank you.

As it happens, I just tried to get it in again (with a bigger hammer) and this time it worked! Though I fear the cap was slightly cracked during the process, so we'll see if it stays in.

I searched that part number, and found 56mm versions, but also 50mm versions! Argh.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sandspider said:

Thank you.

As it happens, I just tried to get it in again (with a bigger hammer) and this time it worked! Though I fear the cap was slightly cracked during the process, so we'll see if it stays in.

I searched that part number, and found 56mm versions, but also 50mm versions! Argh.

The sellers may be measuring at different points, ie. the outside diameter at the widest point perhaps being 56mm and the part where it clips into the alloy rim perhaps being 50mm.

6U0601151L MHB

Spare hub cover

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/en_CZ/spare-hub-cover/p/6U0601151L+MHB

5E0601151 FOD

Decorative centrepiece of the wheel

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/en_CZ/decorative-centrepiece-of-the-wheel/p/5E0601151++FOD

In the diagram below, A is perhaps 56mm and B is perhaps 50mm.

Picture 4 of 4

Edited by Carlston
  • Thanks 1

If they are aftermarket versions of the originals (ebay etc) you'll often find them slightly too big to fit. I've had this happen three times on different cars now. I've had to file down the plastic nibs to get them to fit after smashing one like you did with a large mallet.

Saying that, I got some genuine Skoda ones for my 16" OEM alloys. They are such a tight fit if I had a pucture at night or on a busy road I'd nver be able to get them off safely. Last time I took a wheel off the center cap was such a fight it suddenly set go and I almost ruptured a disk in my back that had me laid up for two weeks in extreme pain.

48 minutes ago, Carlston said:

The sellers may be measuring at different points, ie. the outside diameter at the widest point perhaps being 56mm and the part where it clips into the alloy rim perhaps being 50mm.

6U0601151L MHB

Spare hub cover

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/en_CZ/spare-hub-cover/p/6U0601151L+MHB

5E0601151 FOD

Decorative centrepiece of the wheel

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/en_CZ/decorative-centrepiece-of-the-wheel/p/5E0601151++FOD

In the diagram below, A is perhaps 56mm and B is perhaps 50mm.

Picture 4 of 4

Thanks for the info. Apparently the ones I have are 56mm at A and 52mm at B. Who knows what they're measuring!

Anywhoo, my one has now lasted 12 miles, so we may be OK!

16 minutes ago, Golf-Fiend said:

If they are aftermarket versions of the originals (ebay etc) you'll often find them slightly too big to fit. I've had this happen three times on different cars now. I've had to file down the plastic nibs to get them to fit after smashing one like you did with a large mallet.

Saying that, I got some genuine Skoda ones for my 16" OEM alloys. They are such a tight fit if I had a pucture at night or on a busy road I'd nver be able to get them off safely. Last time I took a wheel off the center cap was such a fight it suddenly set go and I almost ruptured a disk in my back that had me laid up for two weeks in extreme pain.

Yes, mine are aftermarket.

Ouch! Safer not to put the centre caps in! (Though I suppose not ideal to get road dirt and salt in there). I didn't think the caps needed to come off to get a wheel off, though? I've never removed my caps when removing a wheel.

Edited by sandspider
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sandspider said:

Thank you.

A rubber mallet would have been much better to use than a hammer. The white one doesn't leave marks like a black one can do.

Thor Black & White Rubber Mallet Hammer Heads - Sizes 951, 953, 954 & 957 - Picture 9 of 9

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351021366894

42 minutes ago, Golf-Fiend said:

You don't need to take the centre cap off when changing a wheel.

That's only normally done when you fit a new tyre to the rim.

36 minutes ago, sandspider said:

Thanks for the info. Apparently the ones I have are 56mm at A and 52mm at B. Who knows what they're measuring!

Anywhoo, my one has now lasted 12 miles, so we may be OK!

Some sellers are saying that the B measurement is 52mm. However, I suspect their measurement includes the lip, which you shouldn't include. I suspect 50mm is a better measurement, as you shouldn't include the lip in this measurement.

Edited by Carlston