Locking wheel nut key help !

Hi All

After a recent failed MOT (Shock replacement) I called my Mechanic out to make the swap.

As usual passed the Locking wheel nut key over.

When he came to use it, we found it wouldn't seat correctly in to the locking wheel bolt.

Upon inspection all the splines within it have been either broken or burred over; we assume the garage have over torqued it to the point of destruction.

any idea if \ where i can find a replacement and which would fit ..?

Kr

Paul

See below for a piccie of the VAG locking key variants.  Once you have identified your failed key either fleabay for a fairly quick replacement or aliexpress for a cheaper but slower supply.  Or if you're feeling rich you can try your local VAG dealers ...

1967395276_VAGlockingwheelnutsidentifier.thumb.jpg.e2bdd41ce631ce51d0e7b65f93ffc29c.jpg

Have a look on ebay and take a picture of your wheel bolt head and there are places that will send you the correct key head to fit just going off the pic, Ive replaced mine with a differant type as the key was wearing away inside and the only way I could remove the bolt was using a large bar and holding the key on striaght and even then it was touch and go !

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Smoothrunnings said:

the head of the offending key is totally shredded...

Is it the key or the wheel bolt that has become shredded?  If the key chase your fleaby supplier; if the bolt, I'm told that using an old socket knocked down onto the offending bolt provides a way to remove it.

16 minutes ago, Smoothrunnings said:

im investing in a set of those removal type socket heads and a breaker bar.

That looks a lot more workmanlike than the way I was told aboit it!  I just might have to invest in one of those myself, although it looks as though it'll be two sets; one metric as yours and one imperial (for vintage motorbikes).  Let's hope there's loads of dosh in my Xmas stocking :)