Fab VRS Control/Console Arm Bracket Replacement

cello

It look s like the thread has gone on my CAB after the wishbone arm was replaced and torqued up, knocking noise now appearing from the O/S front and on inspecting the bolt it just spins without tightening, oh pooh!

I can get a replacement bracket but have also investigated the helicoil option and will probably go down this route as otherwise I will have to replace the console bush's as well and the less effort the better I say.

I have sourced a 110mm bolt that may work to hold it together for a few months until the weather improves so will see on day if that ,might help but wondered if anyone has done the work already and aware of anything I need to be wary of. I really dont need another bolt losing ts thread or shearing off when i go to remove the CAB so here's what I intend to do....

Jack up both side of the car and sat the axle stands on max so I have room to work.

Remove the Wishbone Arm as per standard procedures. 

Remove roll bar, torsion bar bolts then the three bolts that hold the CAB onto the car. I have already started cleaning the exposed ends of the bolts and dousing with WD40 and will source a new  100mm bolt from Skoda should the 110mm not work.

I'm wondering if there is any other stretch bolts I need to purchase as well but think its only the one the holds the WB arm onto the CAB I need.

Thanks for your wisdom.....

cant see the point in doing all that and not replacing console bushes and a proper job as its suspensdion rather than taking the bodge route of a helicoil youve done most of the work by that point to the right job mate.

2 hours ago, Stewartasb said:

cant see the point in doing all that and not replacing console bushes and a proper job as its suspensdion rather than taking the bodge route of a helicoil youve done most of the work by that point to the right job mate.

Helicoil isn't a bodge, it's better than a new part, a steel thread instead of alloy, much stronger.

31 minutes ago, Stewartasb said:

Just my opinion though not a fan of a thread in a thread and a bolt with suspension I would personaly rather fit new parts for peace of mind.

I gave you my professional opinion, I've used them for forty years and they're a proper job, I've also used them in stainless valve blocks so stainless fasteners can be used and correctly torqued without spalling.

Edited by sepulchrave

Thanks for your input, I must say I have used helicoils before and they have done a great job so dont have any reservations about using them here.

There does seem to be a difference in price for the new control arm brackets and not sure if there is any difference in quality but there could be hence me wishing to use the original part if possible. The console bushes were replaced a fair while ago granted but as I used Meyle Hd one's they appear to be doing well and bedded in. If I change one I should do the otherside as well for balance and really dont want to be doing that and the L/H bracket etc as well, no doubt I will have to at some point....

The Wishbone arm was replaced due to the MOT tester failing this part as it was badly corroded.....well corroded imo badly I,m not so sure but I like upgrading the Fab where possible so no worries.

Spalling , whats that turning , twisting or stripping ?

PS -  I use the car as intended for shopping , runabout , moving me and others around, its a great do it all car but not a racing car.

To demonstrate I used to get a average of 70MPG when I commuted 70 miles each way but only on the way back , not the way there !

4 hours ago, cello said:

Spalling , whats that turning , twisting or stripping ?

Binding, it's where the parts grip each other and cannot be released without damage, a helicoil prevents stainless fasteners from binding, it's standard engineering practice.

• Like 1