Heated front windscreen

vfrguy

Don't know what you guys are expecting. I timed it today, it was -10C outside, car was completely covered in frost, I turned everything on (heated windscreen/max/rear) went around the car clearing side windows and headlights, windshield was done defrosting in 4 minutes on the clock, had to sit for about 2 minutes after clearing everything else. Do you guys want everything to be like an F1 pitstop?

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

It doesn't feel as quick as the old Mk3 system, but the system is invisible to my eyes, whereas the wires were clear to see before. I guess it's a trade-off.

If I want it sorted quick, then I don't have any other electrical load such as heated seats etc on until the screen's above freezing.

As other have said, that's the time where I do the side windows and by the time I've finished faffing, the front's good to go. If you're desperate to get going and the sides are good, then aside from reducing load, dial in a few revs (1,500) to spin up the alternator and get some more volts in there.

Edited by OverTheHill

49 minutes ago, toot said:

@zetzet which country are you in?   Is it frost your glass is covered in rather than frozen ice then snow that is has fallen then been freezing and thawing.   As long as the screen heats enough or warmth from the car interior it heats and it just slides off that is a win. 

Lithuania, it was covered in frost like this How to de-ice your car windscreen in frosty weather this winter

But when there is snow it does make it way easier to wipe off the snow too. My main point was that it was pretty damn cold and it still let me go within 5 minutes and I didn't have to scrape it like a barbarian. 

• Love it! 1
  • Thanks 1

Location location location. When snow is on top of ice like that it is a case of getting it brushed away and not blocking the scuttle / air intake before melting ice / H2o then adds to it and freezes in place.

But then we all know that from where and when we are de-frosting or clearing vehicles.

Plus 9*oC is much nicer than -9 was at the weekend. 

This morning it was damn dangerous as the temp came above freezing and the rain came on and the ice was still thick on the ground.

Then there are the muppet roadshow people with days of frozen snow on the roof that drive off with a layer of melted ice inbetween and they deposit on you or on their windscreen as the apply their brakes.

The wipers and air intake on an EV like mine are pretty damn crap and need a small hard brush to clear snow or ice to get air into the car.

Rear wipers and filler flap as there are are just hopeless. 

The windscreen clear easy and the side windows, but even driving tor sitting when it is snowing in traffic the air intakes can block up, 

No heat under the bonnet so that can mean having to get the frozen stuff off the bonnet and try not scratching it.

DSCI0009.JPG.e7d0e5e4d2444f53074d098a61cf30e9.jpeg

DSCN5771.JPG.27a9b37d1c26fac7652ab9d8d385aad2 (1).jpeg

DSCN5767.JPG.afbe6c8f8fbd4065a7dbea6adf4d42f1.jpeg

Edited by toot

I also find the screen doesnt defrost as quick as my Transit screen did, but like others have stated, the Ford you can clearly see the element lines whereas the Skoda is invisible so i imagine its the difference in having that, personally the Ford lines dont bother me

As for speed, i dont think its that bad generally, i have been defrosting from -9C and its a few minutes till its gone, not great but also not bad, i can live with it

22 hours ago, zetzet said:

What, for me even the level 1 setting is too hot to drive for an hour.

I think mine has been set at too low a temperature. Apparently, it is adjustable in the software settings. On my mark 3 car, the lowest setting was warmer than the highest setting on my current car!

12 hours ago, AllanDJ said:

I think mine has been set at too low a temperature. Apparently, it is adjustable in the software settings. On my mark 3 car, the lowest setting was warmer than the highest setting on my current car!

QC is whack at Skoda these days it seems. 🤣