Octavia 05 1.9 Elegance TDI. Car does not think doors are shut, and thus central locking, d/s window control, and central dash lock mechanism not working.

Car does not think doors are shut, and thus central locking, d/s window control, and central dash lock mechanism not working.   

I have done some initial research, but need a little guidance on diagnostic procedure.

Read about possible bad engagement/earth in tail lock, down the rabbit hole. Someone suggested moving lock in boot.... temporally seemed to work. Cannot replicate though, so unsure. Worked for 1 night. Windows and central locking back. Drove once, issue returned. Could be red-herring. Could a single lock mechanism cause this?  

Fob seems ok. Confident issue is car side.  

No ability to use central locking on key, fob, or use drivers control panel for windows. Passenger side control for that side window works fine.     

No obvious water ingress near back lock - both top or bottom. Earths looked ok.

Any suggestions on possible causes much appreciated....

Or is there a way to bypass each lock so I can whittle down the actual source?      

Classic cause of such is breakdown in the wiring in the harness that goes from the back of the front wing into the driver's door.  Over time the insulation hardens and can then crack and split off, thus removing mechanical support from the conductors which may short or break.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeTheThinker said:

from the conductors which may short or break.

So I guess inspect from loom if possible, and drivers door panel off and check all connectors?  

Edited by Davidmb

I'd start with the loom, as you can do that without stripping the door.  You'll have to cut the outer sleeve to get at the wires so take care to not cut anything you didn't intend to ...

I'm fairly sure there are posts on the site about tackling this problem but the search function isn't behaving at the moment.  You could try a Google[tm] search which usually brings up relevant Briskoda posts.

Edited by MikeTheThinker

3 hours ago, MikeTheThinker said:

I'd start with the loom, as you can do that without stripping the door.  You'll have to cut the outer sleeve to get at the wires so take care to not cut anything you didn't itend to ...

I'm fairly sure there are posts on the site about tackling this problem but the search function isn't behaving at the moment.  You could try a Google[tm] search which usually brings up relevant Briskoda posts.

also @Davidmb - Google search with "& @briskoda" appended to the string should bring up only relevant posts from Briskoda.

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone's quick response.

The issue was broken wires between the drivers door and connectors on pillar. See photo for issue causing problem:

Fixed by soldering and insulating wires.     

20221219_074035.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davidmb said:

Thanks for everyone's quick response.

The issue was broken wires between the drivers door and connectors on pillar. See photo for issue causing problem:

Fixed by soldering and insulating wires.     

/cdn-cgi/mirage/679499c0dedd5164e7e2dd370739a589b28ebc166470eaeecfd103faedb9b1a1/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_12/20221219_074035.thumb.jpg.507c14b40b8352cd3156eedb47bd4cce.jpg

How far down did you have to pull the bellows back to find this issue?

Did you essentially have a dead drivers door no electronics whatsoever?

Did you need to remove the door card ?

19 minutes ago, gav_is_con said:

How far down did you have to pull the bellows back to find this issue?

Did you essentially have a dead drivers door no electronics whatsoever?

Did you need to remove the door card ?

This issue was visible as soon as surround was pulled back. Between door and pillar. Did not need to remove panel at all. easy fix with solder and heat shrink tube/tape - even if you have to taker panel off. 

Used blade to remove cloth wrap btw. 

7 minutes ago, Davidmb said:

This issue was visible as soon as surround was pulled back. Between door and pillar. Did not need to remove panel at all. easy fix with solder and heat shrink tube/tape - even if you have to taker panel off. 

Used blade to remove cloth wrap btw. 

Looks like a good couple of wires there how many did you have to attend to soldering ?