Clutch size and type for 2009 Scout (BMM) TDi 2ltr PD ?

Hi All, had a problem with the clutch the other day as the pedal was sticking halfway down and then I could only change gear when the pedal was right down, luckily I managed to get back home by topping up the fluid and I was only 3 miles away. I have fitted a new master cylinder and bled the clutch with an easy bleed kit as its the only way, pedal is now back to normal, but for how long ? GSF list a few clutches but only stock a few and that is about 4 types and 2 manufacturers LUK and SACHS. So does anybody know which type is fitted ? I did remove the under tray to check for leaks and couldnt see any from the clutch pipes, there was an engine oil leak at the top back of the engine that had gone right down to underneath the gearbox so I cleaned that up. cheers Sparky

You should be checking your braking system as a matter of extreme urgency, the fluid is shared between both systems and the clutch master cylinder feed is higher up in the reservoir so that in the event of fluid loss which it seems you have you are warned by the clutch becoming inoperational before brake failure.

Bleeding the clutch with an Easibleed is not the only way, it is IMO the wrong way, the clutch is simply bled through gravity after turning the purge valve 90° by hand, any air from the slave cylinder downstream makes its way to the void beneath the bleed valve and is expelled immediately as soon as the valve is opened, any air upstream rises to the reservoir, it's a very very simple system and intended to be self bleeding after refilling in the event of low fluid level in the reservoir but you must check where the fluid loss has occurred, your brakes could fail.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi JR, thanks for the warning, I did have a look at the brake bleed nipples the other week to make sure they weren't weeping after changing the fluid in the system, its grotty weather outside so when it improves ill give it a good look. No replies on the clutch so I assume you find out when you remove it.

On 26/12/2022 at 21:35, sparky2 said:

GSF list a few clutches but only stock a few and that is about 4 types and 2 manufacturers LUK and SACHS.

Even when using a VIN filtered search on my car, it will list SACHS & LUK as possible fits, for items that are not fitted the results are greyed out.

Meaning the factory fit either, basically depending on the stock they received/best price that order for the two suppliers.

So you can fit either brand usually.

EDIT: Not sure of your VIN, but you have either a 1U or 1Z choice, and I selected 2010(A) as the MY (usually one year ahead of reality)

Don't use these part numbers, as they could be wrong, but to show you that there is a note on to say "see workshop manual"

1816336469_1ZClutch2010(A).thumb.png.1ba6bc21484a928c0a6c7a1a3cff76ca.png

Edited by varooom

Hi varoom , thanks for that, I think mine's a 1Z , I'm trying to narrow it down just in case I have to change the clutch slave cylinder/complete clutch, going off your drawing of the slave cylinder is there a drain going to the edge of the gearbox to stop brake fluid contaminating the clutch plate if it was leaking ? Mine's a Scout 4x4  so has an output off the main gearbox for the haldex gearbox so I presume it would be trickier to remove.

• 6 months later...

Hi all, well it's looking like I'm going to have to change the clutch + slave cylinder as the pedal is sticking halfway again, I have changed the master cylinder (twice) checked for leaks on the brakes as well as the clutch and there's a small dribble of clear fluid at the bottom of the gearbox, as I'm not certain of the make of clutch fitted in going to have to remove it first then pick one up.