Cambelt changed, no longer revving freely

gho

Hi folks, just picked my 1.9tdi up from the garage. Been in for a full service and cambelt/water pump/pulleys change. Drove it down the street seems ok but once I got to the main road and gave it some welly it seemed to hit a limiter and feels like there's no boost at all/ acceleration is being held back. I'm assuming this means the timing has been done right?

I'll take it back in the morning of course but I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions?

If it does not feel as before then it sounds like the timing is out. I remember doing my old 1.9 pd roomster and you have to do a 2 crankshaft rotation check and confirm the locking tools fit again.

I wrote how to do it as a sort of guide. I attach a link here. You will read about that 2 rotation test towards the end.

Roomster 1.9pd Cambelt

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aubrey said:

If it does not feel as before then it sounds like the timing is out. I remember doing my old 1.9 pd roomster and you have to do a 2 crankshaft rotation check and confirm the locking tools fit again.

I wrote how to do it as a sort of guide. I attach a link here. You will read about that 2 rotation test towards the end.

Roomster 1.9pd Cambelt

Thanks I'll keep hold of that and show it to them.

17 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Garage has f***ed up the cam timing and/or not refitted the boost pipes properly.

It's never been a fast car but even this morning fairly nippy. Boost pipes is a good shout, doesn't feel like there's any boost at all. Do the boost pipes come off when the belts are done then? Dumb question o guess but I'm not very mechanically minded.

• 2 weeks later...

Took it up to a bloke in notts who's good with PD's. Turns out the original mechanic had snapped a nipple on the vacuum box thingy and that pipe went to the turbo. Part cost £30 from a breakers and then was decent. Bloke that fixed it sorted the cam belt tension or something when the vcds program showed it was ever so slightly lean then programmed a popcorn limiter in and remapped it. Drove the 80 miles home in good time with a huge grin on my face. Goes like stink compared to before. Good job he put the limiter in as I've hit it a few times since the weekend. First time I've driven a quick pd, always bought these for the economy. Mpg has gone up significantly in traffic too. Bonus

• Like 1