Planning for a newer Octavia

My current 2017 1.6 diesel SE Has 120k on the clock and we will be adding a few more with round trips to the midlands and south every few weeks.

I’ve been saving up and note that there are some low mileage 2019 models available, and saw one that is a 1.5 TSI.

My initial questions are has anyone gone from the 1.6d to a petrol and do they drive or have engine issues long term?

I might save a bit longer and get a 2020 on model, but have the same questions re engine and reliability.

My shopping list is an auto, with adaptive cruise, and winter pack, and cloth/alcantara seats. I’m flexible on most other things. 

What should I beware of he would a VRS be much different in terms of ride comfort?

open ended questions I know….

The dsg box bolted to the 1.5 is the dry clutch variant. They historically have a higher failure rate than the wet versions.  Although those issues seem to be on older boxes and newer ones are less prone. I think many of the issues were on cars that saw mostly slow/stop/start traffic. Sounds like your usage is more longer runs so again potentially less chance of an issue. 

We have the 1.5 in a seat arona and the in-laws have it in a karoq. Both perform well enough and you'll be pleasantly surprised at the economy. Certainly less thirsty than a vrs.

The issues certainly were on 2009-2012 DQ200 DSG's, that was why there was a World Wide recall in 2012/13, and a Service Campaign in Europe. 2014.

Then another Service Campaign for some 2013-2015 started in 2017. Recalls in Australia, and again and again a 3rd one.

Then 2015 on the Slipping Clutch issues and TPI's, to about 2018 ones. 

Then the issue along with the 1.5TSI's and Kangerooing and also software updates for some DQ200's.

So we get to the past 5 years and the DQ200's seem a lot more reliable up to 5 years.

A few are playing up, have MCU leaks or the likes.

That is how it goes, newer stuff should be more reliable.   Also stuff that has been getting produced for well over a decade should be sorted out so that buyers can trust buying ones out of warranty.

Vorsprung Durch Technik.     VW's answer is introduce mild hybrids and keep the DSG's with issues going a few more years as they have nothing else available to use without it being wet clutch DSG's.

What a pity they are not right on snagging faults with the MCU's with some of those.

Might sound like a daft question, but whats the reason for change? 

I can get the spec increases (heated seats in the winter pack are heavenly on the tush) and the petrol may be a tad cheaper to run, even the offset with fuel economy drop. 

Not saying dont do it however. My reason for buying new cars in the past has been mainly due to want instead of necessity or situational.

6 hours ago, General-Melchett said:

Good question.

I suppose it’s because the current car has 120k on it, and when it gets to 150 or more the resale value may take a nosedive, Also the chances of something going wrong and having a dead car increase.

All good points. 2nd hand prices at the moment are high. 

Although I have no experience of the 1.5 TSI we bought the wife a 1.2 TSI Seat Leon (mk2 1.2 TSI) and so far its been great. Was always hesistant of smaller turboed engine cars but ours doesnt feel over stressed whilst returning an easy 10mpg in situations over my Octavia VRS TSI. For motorways, its easy to get 45mpg whereas Ill have to be driving for hours to get close to 40mpg out of the VRS.

As for comfort, my VRS is pretty good on the motorway but a bit hard around town. I do have 19's, the wifes Seat with 16s is more compliant but I think the suspension is always harder on VAG cars in general than other makes. 

Thanks for all the replies so far, we are going to wait for now, and then in 6 months or so and see how much more we can save.

I don’t want to get a loan or pcp and our current car (called Norman by my daughters) is OK.

I also had a set of Audi A3 seats installed and Elliot is wiring them up in the next few weeks.

I had heated seats on most of the year with my Ford, 

On 04/01/2023 at 12:07, General-Melchett said:

Thanks for all the replies so far, we are going to wait for now, and then in 6 months or so and see how much more we can save.

I don’t want to get a loan or pcp and our current car (called Norman by my daughters) is OK.

I also had a set of Audi A3 seats installed and Elliot is wiring them up in the next few weeks.

I had heated seats on most of the year with my Ford, 

I think with interest rates at an all high, lack of cars and massive delays on new cars its not a bad shout to wait. I suspect all dealers are upping prices and certainly things seem a bit pricier after Christmas too. Hopefully 6 months and the interest rate will start dropping and things will improve.

Always best to monitor the market though. Still may find something that ticks all the right boxes.

I did consider an 18 plate 1.5 Octavia with 9.5k on the clock, but the owner hadn’t looked after it as well as I’d hoped and it was overpriced.

Got a test drive in an Enyaq and a Tesla model X at the weekend, might go back to having a company car as I run my own limited company and there are a few incentives in terms of corporation tax. 

wont make any changes until may or June though

Edited by General-Melchett

• 4 weeks later...

Considering you were initially looking at another Octavia, the Model X is the last vehicle I thought you would end up choosing :)

When you have had some time with it please post your opinion in the Briskoda review section, I'd love to read it.

• Like 1

Good point.

Initially I thought I would carry on with another Octavia, but the prices for second hand cars on the dealer forecourt are IMHO too high.

I run my own limited company and can offset an 100% of an electric car against corporation tax.

We tried the Enyaq and it was lovely, but the Tesla with its new price drop was just so different and nice.

I will miss the current car (he is called Norman by the kids) as it’s never missed a beat, and the Audi A3 seats are a factory look and for me much more comfortable.

• Like 1