Spark Plug Change on my son's 110ps 3 cylinder

I've just spent an hour of my life that I won't get back trying to change just 3 spark plugs. Starting at around 3pm this afternoon I though I would have plenty of time but how naïve was I as I had only just removed the airbox, intake pipes and ducting and electrical connectors when darkness overtook the proceedings. I cant believe how unnecessarily complex VAG have made what should be a simple job. Amongst other cars, I'm lucking enough to own a 40 year old Gold GTI and without exaggeration changing its 4 spark plugs takes 10 mins

the world has gone mad!

Happy New Year bye the way

• Like 1

To Be honest with 1 electrical connector refusing to budge and it getting very dark I Put it all back together and will have another go on the next dry day when Ive got a spare hour or so. It should be quicker next time now I know where all the Tork Screws/ Clips are to remove the airbox ducting etc.  Once done I'll report back

Edited by Napastar
  • Thanks 1

Finally managed to get the plugs changed. Visibly all 3 of the old ones that are 5 years old and covered 40k look fine. Gap looks pretty good, electrode not worn and no tracking of the plugs exterior. To my surprise their is a noticeable improvement on pick up from low revs. 

• Thanks 1

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

1 hour ago, Napastar said:

Gap looks pretty good, electrode not worn and no tracking of the plugs exterior. To my surprise their is a noticeable improvement on pick up from low revs. 

As with many parts and components just because they work and look OK doesn't mean that they're not well passed their optimum  and well into not working as well as they could or should, putting more effort on other parts and components so additional load and wear on those or just lack of possible available performance - car doesn't go as well as it could or should.  To many this doesn't matter and it's a matter of what is reasonable expected performance to balance with the type of vehicle and its use and cost benefits and balances to most people.

Just a note, the precious metal(?) iridium and wotsit plugs (having trouble with my worms today) you're supposed to check the gaps with the round wire type feeler gauges rather than the traditional blade type.  Obvious not so important on old plugs removed and not being used again.

Edited by nta16
ETA: Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

I'm afraid not Toot as yet again it started raining so I didn't want to hang about  (I had already used a feeler gauge to check the new plugs indoors)

Quite agree nta that the performance of parts like plugs do deteriorate over time/with use even if there is not visible exterior deterioration. I've just not experience such a difference when plugs have been changed. The old plugs I replaced were the originals and so 1 year past the recommended change interval -  it turns out that the previous owner had declined the Skoda dealerships advice that they should be changed

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

Some people won't change anything until it falls apart even if it plays up or fails.  Basics like servicing and maintenance have often been overlooked and for sorting issues especially now there's the sexy scan tools and perceived solutions at the push of a button.  Problem is when timely changes are made to some items the difference isn't great or not noticeable at all as a preventative measure it's only when things have deteriorated enough to be noticeable that the replacement working properly seems work the effort to many.

Until recently I had a very basic 49 year old BL car as a daily and just about all the basics that applied to that apply to the models here but convincing people with what they think of as modern (ICE, really 🤣 ) and sophisticated cars that the basics still need attending to and  checking before moving on is difficult.