Loss of power

My daughter's Rapid DSG suffered complete loss of power on the motorway so car has been towed to garage.  Just enough power to limp to emergency layby.  Anyone got any suggestions about the possible cause?

18 minutes ago, toot said:

@DRW

What engine has the car?  Petrol / Diesel?

What age?

?

It was not running out of fuel was it, or misfueled?

Would she be sure it was the engine that lost power or went into limp mode, no RPM available.

& it was not drive lost with the DSG.

1.4 DSG    2013  Petrol   Not misfuelled or out of fuel.  Seemed to go into limp mode from what she described.  Breakdown driver was able to drive it onto breakdown truck but advised against trying to drive home.  M42 back to Cheltenham.  Car will be transported back next week.  Garage will solve the problem, but as a previous Rapid owner I'm interested to know what might be the cause.

Thanks for such a prompt response!

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd keep you updated as you were good enough to respond.  Car was transported to local independant garage that I use regularly. Diagnostic test didn't reveal much. Plugs and coils replaced and it now seems to be fine so fingers crossed.  I know of another Rapid that went into limp mode, and a VW that did the same, though I don't know the outcome of those.