Superb clutch judder

My 2018 1.4tsi Sportline 6 speed manual suffers from terrible clutch judder. I've had the car since it was 2 years old and 26K miles and it's now on 38K miles. It has done it on and off since purchase, but lately it does it more often than not. It used to do it when it was cold outside and for the first few set offs from a cold engine, but does it when warmed up now as well and whether it's cold or warm weather.

I have the 'all in' service plan on the car so it has warranty on it. Has anyone else experienced this and had a dealer sort it out at Skoda's expense? My local dealer has said they'd strip it down for a cost of £450 and if there was some evidence of a fault they'd cover it, but didn't sound too hopeful in my favour and full cost is c. £1,500 for a new clutch (they would knock off the £450 from this cost).

Look forward to any comments.

?

Who was it that gave you that offer, i would get it in writing'.  Not sure on the 'some evidence of a fault' and them covering it'.  on a 4 year old car.

Very very hopeful. 

Does the T&C's of the 'all in service' really cover a clutch / flywheel replacement?

Wear & Tear exclusions. 

Screenshot 2023-01-07 19.04.16.png

skoda-allin-warranty-terms-and-conditions.pdf

Edited by toot

This is why I'm asking really as I thought the same. The guy at the garage assured me that if there was evidence of something such as a leak of fluid on to the clutch / flywheel assembly then they would honour it. However, I have to agree to the £450 to find out. 

It is driving me mad though as it makes it hard work to drive in traffic juddering all the time and is embarrassing when I have passengers. My wife has a Rapid Spaceback and I have no issues driving that, so at least I know its not my driving. Also I'm on my second Superb, other was a Mk2 manual with no such problem. So in conclusion either the first owner knackered it or there is a fault!

My car (2015 same engine and gearbox) also does this intermittently.

I think you would be very lucky to get to Skoda to cover any of this repair, unless a leak is found once they open it up.

Are they quoting £1400 just for the clutch?  Flywheel really needs to be done at the same time.  You might get a much better price elsewhere.

In. my case clutch and flywheel are the obvious answer, but as it is intermittent and the clutch is not slipping I haven't bitten the bullet as yet. I'm also concerned that I may do the above and it may not fix the problem.  Keep us posted as to how you get on. 

Yes the quote was clutch and flywheel. It's in next week for its service and MOT and they're going to test drive it and comment further before I agree to anything.

I asked if anything else required not covered under the plan, yes it's due a cambelt that will be a discounted price of £539 because you have the service plan (down from £793). Here's hoping there's no other costs!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi all

Reviving this topic as I am still suffering the clutch judder issue and wondering if anyone else has any further updates. Made it through another year, but it is still the same. Apologies I never reported back post service last year, the garage just commented they noticed very slight judder, but short of strip down and likely full replacement of clutch and flywheel, nothing they can or will do. The cost is just prohibitive, certainly from a dealer and I'm worried if it doesn't cure it.

What I cannot understand is how it can do it sometimes and not at other times. For example, gave it a motorway run earlier this week for over an hour, when I initially set off from home it juddered a little, then it went away, then queuing to get on to motorway it started again and did it in traffic when I came off the motorway. Driving home later after being parked for a few hours, it was perfectly fine!

Yesterday morning fine from cold, last night coming back from work juddering from cold! It has also been fine for the last couple of weeks up to this week. None of it makes sense to me, surely if there is a fault somewhere with the clutch it should do it constantly.

Any ideas?

On 21/02/2024 at 11:35, Superbsport said:

Hi all

Reviving this topic as I am still suffering the clutch judder issue and wondering if anyone else has any further updates. Made it through another year, but it is still the same. Apologies I never reported back post service last year, the garage just commented they noticed very slight judder, but short of strip down and likely full replacement of clutch and flywheel, nothing they can or will do. The cost is just prohibitive, certainly from a dealer and I'm worried if it doesn't cure it.

What I cannot understand is how it can do it sometimes and not at other times. For example, gave it a motorway run earlier this week for over an hour, when I initially set off from home it juddered a little, then it went away, then queuing to get on to motorway it started again and did it in traffic when I came off the motorway. Driving home later after being parked for a few hours, it was perfectly fine!

Yesterday morning fine from cold, last night coming back from work juddering from cold! It has also been fine for the last couple of weeks up to this week. None of it makes sense to me, surely if there is a fault somewhere with the clutch it should do it constantly.

Any ideas?

Mine was also intermittent, sometimes pulling away at first it was terrible, and other days nothing at all. Replacing the clutch and flywheel 100% solved it. A bit of shopping around and I got it done for €1000.  It took two guys 1.5 hours to do, so if you find someone who knows what they're doing it, shouldn't be prohibitively expensive.

On 11/01/2023 at 23:56, bigjohn said:

Does the manual 1.4 even have a Dual Mass Flywheel - could be a Single Mass Flywheel with the smaller engines?

The 1.4tsi 150 manual is a DMF.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Mine has just started intermittant juddering now. 150 diesel.

Really hacked off, as I love the car in every other way, but this was ultimately the reason I got shut of the Octavia vRS 5 years ago, and it was suggested by the main dealer that it was my driving style!

Strange, as my 19 year od Fabia vRS is still on its original clutch after 18 years of ownership, with 147,000 k under its wheels, with zero problems at all.

Mine does it too. 2.0tdi 190. 2016 with 131000 miles on the clock. Again, would just get the clutch and flywheel done if I could guarantee it'd sort it. It is a horrible feeling when your pulling away and it judders. Mine mainly does it when sitting in stop start traffic. Clutch bite point seems ok and it don't seem to slip so I assume it's flywheel??? 

Posted (edited)

Mine was improved following Skoda doing a clutch bleed a couple of months ago, but still does it occasionally and like you it's mostly when in traffic. It is awful when it does it and as you say if we could guarantee the problem would be solved by a new clutch and flywheel I'd consider it, but can't justify the cost for the risk it doesn't fix it. My bite point seems OK as well. Ruins the enjoyment of an otherwise fantastic car.

Edited by Superbsport

Our 2010 CR170 clutch became terrible in 2013 at about 30k. Random juddering under any circumstances. Bloody ridiculous as I’d only covered 5k since I’d bought it. Skoda weren’t interested as it was a “sacrificial item” and “wear and tear” was not covered under the warranty (it had a five year warranty) so I decided to get the clutch and DMF replaced as it was driving me insane. Fixed it completely. You wouldn’t be surprised to need a replacement clutch on a 1973 30k miler Austin Allegro however, a clutch failing at 30 odd ‘000 miles on a 3 year old car in 2013 is, my view, outrageous and it absolutely should be covered. 

My 150 2.0 TDi (2017) has had an occasional clutch judder when slipping, and if it's going to do it I find it seems worse if you let the engine revs drop to near idle / rely on anti stall to pull away.  Done it ever since I bought at circa 50k miles and now on 120k miles, hasn't changed so suspect it's just a characteristic of the VAG clutch and engine setup.  Maybe try raising rpm a bit more by a couple hundred rpm when pulling away and see if that helps.