Starter motor compatibility

My Octavia 1.9tdi ALH suddenly decided to not start. The engine won't turn over and there's no noise at all from the starter motor. I'm assuming that the starter motor has given up. The lights on the dash are completely normal with no warning lights. Does the starter motor from any 5speed 1.9 engine such as pd100 fit the ALH? What about the newer BXE, would a starter from that engine fit my ALH? 

The parts catalogue pages for Mk1 Octy '07 starters are HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE.  There are quite a number of different configutaions listed so some careful reading may be required!

Before getting too deep into research, are you sure the electrical route to your starter is OK?  There will be a fuse or fuses plus a starter relay.  Take a look at the fuse diagrams in your owner's manual, or if you haven't got one to hand do a quick Google[tm] for "Octavia owner's handbook skoda" and look for the Skoda download site.

• Love it! 1

Mine went, ended ordering one that was said to be compatible but didn't fit, ordered another one, returned the old one with no issues, except for the mechanic raging 😇

I did hear it start with an unusual noise for a few days prior to it going, I knew it wasn't the battery because those have died on me so many times I can tell by the noise 😅

The lights on the dash were normal also. 

I found out what was wrong, i really didn't expect this to be the problem. The positive brass connector had actually snapped and there was no connection at all between the battery and the starter. IMG_20230110_173112.thumb.jpg.c2a3e44f8de5221ddec3f7d1ae2b7e52.jpg

• Like 3