Hatchback boot not opening.

Hi my skoda octavia 2.0L tdi mk 3's boot will only open if I long press the middle button on the key. Anyone experienced this.

Any help would be much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

My 2017 1.4 TSI estate just started doing this. Pressing the opening switch in the tailgate does nothing. If I press and hold down the middle button (boot unlock/open) on the key, it releases the boot latch so that I can open it. It seems to occasionally work, but most of the time it does not. So I suspect the connector on the back might have come a bit loose after years of opening and closing the boot. Although it is a very low mileage car. So maybe it's just age on the switch. I may try to replace the switch; or at least re-insert the connector if I can get the inner part of the tailgate panel to get to the switch from the inside. 

• Like 1

This is a picture of mine - which I need to order a replacement for...

It is a different part number (and shape) than I thought I needed. So I'm glad I took it out to have a look.

image.thumb.jpeg.45b706aea9acc7c968759036221648d5.jpeg

• Like 1

On 06/02/2023 at 06:32, ApertureS said:

The tailgate external button is most likely to have failed.

I can post you one out if you’re interested at a fraction of the new cost.

drop me a pm if interested

Hi bud, how much are we talking?

On 08/02/2023 at 23:16, DCam said:

Well done bud. Please let me know the cost of a new one and how you got on.

I bought a second hand replacement from ApertureS and it is working just fine so far.

• 9 months later...
On 06/02/2023 at 21:49, WWorx said:

This is a picture of mine - which I need to order a replacement for...

It is a different part number (and shape) than I thought I needed. So I'm glad I took it out to have a look.

image.thumb.jpeg.45b706aea9acc7c968759036221648d5.jpeg

Hi WWorx I’ve been putting off replacing mine for a year but it’s steadily got worse. Out of interest did you remove this from the inside and if so did you use any special tools to remove it or the trim that covers it. Looking at the clips it appears like it would be easier to remove from the inside.

On my Octavia Mk 3 the switch has plastic gel cover - does this simply come off and then it can be reused on the replacement unit? I’ve attached a photo to show you what I mean,IMG_0163.jpeg.dd435e6ed298c2e37f2d307f9af234f3.jpeg