Skoda yeti 4x4 question

dfps

Hi J R

The ARP bolts arrived and we're a different thread pitch so not suitable anyway.

I bit the bullet and picked up the proper VW bolts from a main dealer.

They are however also set screws so I am going to fit these and use a medium thread lock on the threads.

I will keep an eye on them for the next few journeys to see that the bolts remain tight.

With regard to the use of set screws instead of shouldered bolts I am thinking that the torque action on the joint is taken up by the interlocking pegs as per my rough hand drawn diagram above and these bolts maybe don't take the shear action as this is taken by the interlocking faces and maybe that is why VW use these bolts ?

I don't profess to have the engineering knowledge so have to have faith in the fact that VW will have that covered in their design.

Will find out over next few trips  : )

Official VAG part number for bolts is 

N90846102 (that fit my skoda yeti 2012 )16742115030226410060411569640615.thumb.jpg.3fd1f91a3e55acebf76341bfad1dd540.jpg

Yes, that is what I was saying earlier and why any damage to those bosses and counterbores is undesirable.

But this is a driveshaft joint with a rubber coupling and not a flywheel or crankshaft pulley so you should be OK.

Well done on finding the fault and especially on saving the situation!

I owe you an apology, had I recalled that you said you used standard M10 bolts to pull the flange together I would have warned you that the ARP bolts were not the ISO standard thead pitch of M10 x 1.5.

It is common practice to use a non standard thread (usually finer pitch) in high load applications where the correct fastener must be used specifically engine bearing caps, driveshaft flanges so I was not alarmed to see the M10 x 1.25 thread.

Now I know that VAG have used an ISO standard thread then I no longer have any concerns about the fastener grade or being a setscrew, as you have deduced the load is taken from the fasteners to the counterbores.

Given that it seemed to reassemble without a struggle I would say that the bolts were never fitted and are amongst the every growing box of bits left over at the end of jobs.

Hi J.R.

No need to apologize.

Comments given in good faith are always valid and I appreciate you giving the time to give your input.
I'm always willing to learn if someone has greater knowledge or experience than me.

We have snow here currently so not relishing the thought of getting on my back outside to fit the bolts but need the car back on the road so have little choice.

Hopefully the job will be a good un and will have added to my knowledge and understanding of the vehicle.