Mk1 Fabia VRS heating not working

Hello everyone, recently bought a mk1 Fabia VRS and have an issue. The issue is the interior heating does not work at all.

I've checked coolant levels - all is fine. Checked that the two heating pipes are warm, which they are.
Shoiuldnt be a thermostat issue since temperature rises up to 90 as it should.
I've also checked that the flap motor is moving if i change the dial from hot to cold. The dial moves, but only if it's set to lowest setting or highest setting, both with no change in ambient temperature.

Is there anything else to try before I go to get it looked at professionally? Thank you.

1 minute ago, varooom said:

Check engine bay coolant expansion bottle for the words "Mit Silikat" I do believe.  This bag can split and block the heater matrix inside the car, leading to poor heat transfer.

p.s. Welcome to the forum

A mk1 Fabia will not have a silica bag in the coolant.

I presume that the fans work on all 4 speeds?

• Thanks 1

The fans do work on all 4 speed settings. Upon testing again just now, I've noticed that there is a very very small change in temperature when switching from cold to hot (as in maybe 1-2  degrees, only noticeable if you really concentrate)

19 minutes ago, varooom said:

Thanks @softscoop I wasn't sure that the old one's did have a nasty tea-bag 😆

^ sorry, forgot to add as a reply :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, varooom said:

Have you got a picture of your heating system?

The basic one, will use a cable to move the heater flap, the A/C I believe will use electric motor to move heater flap.

I belive this one is an electronic motor based one. There is a flex shaft cable for adjusting the blower position, but the heat setting send a signal to the flap motor i think. Here's what I'm working with: picture

Just now, GeorgeFisher said:

I belive this one is an electronic motor based one. There is a flex shaft cable for adjusting the blower position, but the heat setting send a signal to the flap motor i think. Here's what I'm working with: picture

edit: the picture above is fro ma mk2 fabia, but the design is very similar, if not the same internally

1 minute ago, sepulchrave said:

The airbox flap is stuck, keep cycling it from full cold to full hot to try and unstick it, mine was like this after the boiling summer we had.

Do these have a special mode you can press and hold say the AC button to make it calibrate the flaps?

Or is at as mentioned, just keep turning the dial.

10 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

The airbox flap is stuck, keep cycling it from full cold to full hot to try and unstick it, mine was like this after the boiling summer we had.

The cog itself seems to be moving, would there be a way to just jam it to blow hot air? As it's winter it's very annoying to drive with absolutely no heating, and would like a quick fix until i can get it properly fixed.

2 hours ago, TMB said:

This guy used a cable tie to operate the flap /cdn-cgi/mirage/60998c7ca6da7af624820e07ef447b7bd15bf53d9f9c601c68c4e2f7ba84d7bb/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/emoticons/emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif .....

Thanks a lot. I’ll give this a try tomorrow morning 😀

• Like 1