Opinions 🤔

smaug

OK, so I currently have a 2012 focus zetec, the 1.6 petrol 105 version. Not the most poke but it gets there, gives decent mpg and hasn't given me any real problems in 3 years. I was initially looking at another focus as a replacement but the ecoboom issues just don't appeal. I've gone around in circles, considered a mk4 octavia estate but then spotted a scala whilst out and about at work. Since then I've been frying my brain 🧠.  I settled on the SEL as that seemed to give the best value for money and initially thought the 1.5 manual would be my best option. However I've been drawn back to the 1.0 110. It has more power than my current car and on paper should be more economical but I'm not sure if it has enough oomph for the driving I do. It is just me, 1 1/2 dogs and will need a towbar to carry my mountain bike. A and B roads on my commute with one half mile climb in either direction. Bit of motorway driving to Cumbria a couple of times a year plus possibly on bike trips (not often). I don't make special trips for shopping as I do that on my way home from work. Generally I don't drive less than 8 miles unless it's a doctors appointment. I don't race around like a loon, that ended when I sold my very loud much modified (real) mini clubman 25 years ago. These days I'm all about practicality, economy and comfort. 

Before my focus I had a kia ceed diesel (nightmare) estate and I found my driving needed an an adjustment with the switch and I rarely notice that my car is a bit of a slouch. I do have a test drive booked next weekend for the 1.0 litre. I just don't want to get in it and feel disappointed.

So at the end of my long rambling post (sorry guys!) Those of you that have tried both and obviously those that have the 1.0 litre please be brutally honest about the capabilities of this little engine. I don't care if its not the fastest thing on the road, I don't mind adjusting my driving if necessary. The question is will it suit my use? 🤔

• Like 1

Hello Smaug, welcome to the forum. Do I assume correctly - Another JRR fan?

To your question - my wife has a 2018 Fabia 1.0,110 PS, I think it is a very willing engine - not quite as smooth as my 1.4 Octavia, and torque pick up does not come at same point, but quite fun to drive. Take the test drive, I'm confident you will be pleasantly surprised.  

• Like 2

Hope this helps you in some way, here are the towing capabilities of the Scala Manual, as you can see, not a lot in it.

The petrol engines have come a long way, and fairly capable units.

1287934790_ScalaTowing.thumb.png.e9b3170ab6f92daabe5fe5f9091f001b.png

I would go with @Warrior193 suggestion of going for the test drive, do it with an open mind and I am sure you will be pleased.

• Like 2

The 1.0l tsi is a cracking engine plenty of guts easily pulls 5 adults and loaded boot even up hill. I have a kamiq it’s the same car as a scala I have had two first was a 1.0l 115ps now a 1.5l 150ps. 1.0l I got 70 mpg town and motorway around town mid 40s. The 1.5l I have had 65 mpg town motorway town 35/45mpg. If you are buying new get factory fit towbar prep the electrics will be set up for plug and play or full towbar fit. Go to Skoda website and configure your scala for options and price. you can save and give to your dealer 

Edited by skoda1982
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

Hello Smaug, welcome to the forum. Do I assume correctly - Another JRR fan?

To your question - my wife has a 2018 Fabia 1.0,110 PS, I think it is a very willing engine - not quite as smooth as my 1.4 Octavia, and torque pick up does not come at same point, but quite fun to drive. Take the test drive, I'm confident you will be pleasantly surprised.  

Thankyou. Yes  The Hobbit was my favourite book as a child, I think I was about 10 when I got that and the LOTR for Christmas. I was always on the side of the dragon 🤣

The fabia was another one for me to look at but I feel it might just be a bit small. Such a shame as I love the colour version, the orange is lush. I am going to have a look when I visit the dealer. 

The modern clubman is huge. As a small BMW they're a nice car and I did think about one for five minutes but they are not really a mini 😉

2 minutes ago, smaug said:

Thankyou. Yes  The Hobbit was my favourite book as a child, I think I was about 10 when I got that and the LOTR for Christmas. I was always on the side of the dragon 🤣

The fabia was another one for me to look at but I feel it might just be a bit small. Such a shame as I love the colour version, the orange is lush. I am going to have a look when I visit the dealer. 

The modern clubman is huge. As a small BMW they're a nice car and I did think about one for five minutes but they are not really a mini 😉

That orange is £1045 if it gets scratched 🥲

Edited by skoda1982

27 minutes ago, varooom said:

Hope this helps you in some way, here are the towing capabilities of the Scala Manual, as you can see, not a lot in it.

The petrol engines have come a long way, and fairly capable units.

/cdn-cgi/mirage/edba65b585c03ea8837496604905daaf80fe13159d00a28718b63577f1f90229/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_01/1287934790_ScalaTowing.thumb.png.e9b3170ab6f92daabe5fe5f9091f001b.png

I would go with @Warrior193 suggestion of going for the test drive, do it with an open mind and I am sure you will be pleased.

I looked at the towing figures and was surprised to see how little there was in it. I'm not planning on it ever towing anything but it shows how capable the engine is. 

1 minute ago, skoda1982 said:

That orange is £1045 

I know. I nearly cried 🤣

• Like 1

Just now, smaug said:

I looked at the towing figures and was surprised to see how little there was in it. I'm not planning on it ever towing anything but it shows how capable the engine is. 

100%, a damn good indicator of the capabilities.  The gap is closer with an automatic box as well 🤝

Just now, varooom said:

100%, a damn good indicator of the capabilities.  The gap is closer with an automatic box as well 🤝

I learned to drive lorries with a manual box, splitter and a clutch that needed thighs like arnie to push down. Now everything is automatic and I'm just a steering wheel attendant. I like getting in my car at the end of my day and actually driving. Eventually I will be forced into automatic but whilst I still have a choice I'm stubbornly hanging on to my manual 😉

1 minute ago, skoda1982 said:

1.0l 

F140D9A4-4E69-49FB-A4BD-796AF56809BD.jpeg

That's interesting.  I've never worried about quoted mpg as I've always managed to exceed the quoted figures (except with the kia which was awful). But that figure is definitely a challenge to beat 😉

• Like 2

I intended to buy a Scala 1.1 in SE trim, until I randomly test drove a1.5  demonstrator. I liked that engine very much and that is what I bought! It is smooth and lots of torque, I don't drive like an idiot and the thing gives me over 53mpg on a decent trip at road speed and 30ish in stop start urban. The only way to decide which version to buy is to drive both if you can. I have never driven the 1.1 TSI engine so I can't comment on that, except to say that there aren't many (any?) complaints about it on here. My previous car had a Peugeot 3 cylinder 1 litre engine, which is well regarded and the turbo gave it plenty of go for motorway but I found gear changing in urban motoring a pain. My Scala is a manual box and that's fine. My only 'whinge' is that the 1,5 engine is so smooth that sometimes I don't realise  what gear I am in, until I try to accelerate from 10mph in 6th that is!!!!! I like to drive intuitively without looking at the dials (except for speed) and the lack of noise and vibration sometimes catches me out. I call this version of the Scala a 3rd gear car, bung it in third and you can drive between 10 to 50 almost anywhere without changing gear😀

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, John2022 said:

I intended to buy a Scala 1.1 in SE trim, until I randomly test drove a1.5  demonstrator. I liked that engine very much and that is what I bought! It is smooth and lots of torque, I don't drive like an idiot and the thing gives me over 53mpg on a decent trip at road speed and 30ish in stop start urban. The only way to decide which version to buy is to drive both if you can. I have never driven the 1.1 TSI engine so I can't comment on that, except to say that there aren't many (any?) complaints about it on here. My previous car had a Peugeot 3 cylinder 1 litre engine, which is well regarded and the turbo gave it plenty of go for motorway but I found gear changing in urban motoring a pain. My Scala is a manual box and that's fine. My only 'whinge' is that the 1,5 engine is so smooth that sometimes I don't realise  what gear I am in, until I try to accelerate from 10mph in 6th that is!!!!! I like to drive intuitively without looking at the dials (except for speed) and the lack of noise and vibration sometimes catches me out. I call this version of the Scala a 3rd gear car, bung it in third and you can drive between 10 to 50 almost anywhere without changing gear😀

I did read your thread before I joined the forum and was surprised you got your car delivered so quickly. The dealer has quoted 52 weeks for the 1.5, 20 weeks for the 1.0. Not entirely sure why the shorter time on the smaller engine?  There are a few extras I want as well as the towbar so I'm guess that will also add to the quoted lead time. Either way it has to be the right car not the one that's available faster. Several garages advertising the standard SEL available now or in a couple of weeks but I have to have a towbar which wouldn't be possible if the car isn't plated for it. What a silly idea that was. 🙄

I know the dealer has both engine sizes available so I can test drive both if I'm unsure about the 1.0 litre. 🤔

If I do order the car I'm just hoping it doesn't end up being the same issue as the octavia judging from posts on here 🤦‍♀️

14 minutes ago, smaug said:

......but I have to have a towbar which wouldn't be possible if the car isn't plated for it. What a silly idea that was. 🙄

I did not ask for my car to be plated but it was. Get an assurance from the dealer that whatever you order will be plated at no cost to you. It is possible that some bulk orders may not be. Of course the cost of a tow bar is additional, if you opt for the Skoda electric thingy it is well over a grand 🙄 It would be worth while to check out 3rd party towbar cost.

Edited by John2022

4 minutes ago, John2022 said:

Important note, if asking 3rd party towbar prices, make sure the price includes full, canbus electrics - not just bypass relay. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

Important note, if asking 3rd party towbar prices, make sure the price includes full, canbus electrics - not just bypass relay. 

The plan was to get it factory fitted and hopefully avoid any issues. This also means I get the race blue paint and the propus alloys..... if I get the standard spec as a faster option the risk is the vehicle may not be plated to tow and I wouldn't be able to get a towbar fitted. I've also read that it would need coding at the dealer? I know when I looked on the witter website it stated they couldn't do that 🤔

There is a review somewhere on the mighty web from some body like the Caravan club about towing with the Scala. Its worth finding and considering, basically they managed a caravan that was pretty much on the limit with a 1.1 litre engine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John2022 said:

There is a review somewhere on the mighty web from some body like the Caravan club about towing with the Scala. Its worth finding and considering, basically they managed a caravan that was pretty much on the limit with a 1.1 litre engine.

I managed a caravan on the limit with my 1.6 petrol astra estate many years ago. It did well but it was hard work especially on hills.  Thankfully these days I just need to carry my mountain bike and suffer the wrath of drivers who apparently still hate cyclists even when they're not actually pedalling 🤣

My brain is so fried looking at cars and deals and options. 

What does driving mode selector do? Does it make a difference? Do I really need full LED headlights or will basic be enough? I'm in a rural area and find my focus lights are not the best in the dark especially when it's raining. Not sure if I need a heated windscreen, one on the focus doesn't work properly and the matric style pattern is annoying when the sun shines. I do really like the extended glass on the back though. 

Kia are much simpler, that's your car, that's what you get, if you don't like it then jog on. Giving women lots of choices never ends well 🤣 🤣

No idea? I only notice it in the focus when the sun reflects off the windscreen. Its mildly irritating and as a feature its never worked properly so I don't know what I'm missing really. I've been told it's not uncommon for them to fail in the focus, no idea how reliable they are in other vehicles. Heated washers appeal but have to come with heated seats. Not had those since my old Nissan bluebird and I remember burning my ass 🤣🤣

There comes a time to step back from the specs and pictures. Go for the test drive, drive it intuitively using your Focus as a reference to score the thing against. Then look at the options which may or may not add to the utility /enjoyment of driving the car. For example, a heated windscreen is a godsend if you have you have to get up at sillyoclock  to drive to work every day, if you don't have to do that is it worth the money? How far forward does the front passenger seat fold down, if you regularly want to get long planks of wood in its rather important, if not then its irrelevant (the answer is it does not fold a lot 🤬).

• Like 2

Personally, I'd spec. a heated front screen and ACC if I was going to replace the Octavia - but I do presently go to work at O-dark hundred - until, that is, the cretins I work for p1** me off some more!

• Like 1

I go to work at about 5.20am which I think is plenty silly enough these days. 

I feel your pain. Been there  done that. These days I've downsized to a puddle jumper and managed to get a quiet life. See how long it lasts 😉

• Like 1