Bevel box oil leak

juan27

Hi 2017 L&K 1.4 4x4 has been to the local Skoda dealer for a service and the healthcheck video pointed out an oil leak from the bevel box...is it difficult to top this up? Dealers estimate to fix was predictably ruinous, but don't want it to run dry...

1 hour ago, toot said:

Was the technician not prepared to do it while they were there with it on the ramp had the lights etc?

Maybe best ask them how easy.

?

Were they able to actually come up with a price of a fix? 

@Crashermight know or @ApertureS

Basically Skoda said up to £3000 to fix. When I said I would sell the car if it was that ballpark they told me not to worry about (literally). Never offered to top it up but as usual I spoke to the guy behind a desk, not the technician. Seen a couple of videos on the web for other VW group cars and looks pretty simple if you have a car lift....

Edited by juan27
  • Thanks 1

So......got round to looking at this today. Definitely evidence of dry oil residue on the bevel box housing but couldn't see any obvious leak. You can access the filler plug with the car on an axle stand with the offside front wheel off. Its a bit of a pain, I found the o/s front wheel arch liner had to come out and there's a guard on the inner driveshaft joint that needs to come off. Put maybe 250ml top up of oil in.  Cleaned the oil residue off, will keep an eye on it.

Edited by juan27

A new bevel box 0CN 409 053 AM is £2870 and it has been revised. It is a bit fiddly to top up (oil is G 052 145 S2 and £38.74 for a litre, it uses 0.9 litres) and a gear oil pump with an M10x1 adapter makes life much easier but it could be removed and have new oil seals fitted for £107 in parts and all three have been revised which says something

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Crasher said:

A new bevel box 0CN 409 053 AM is £2870 and it has been revised. It is a bit fiddly to top up (oil is G 052 145 S2 and £38.74 for a litre, it uses 0.9 litres) and a gear oil pump with an M10x1 adapter makes life much easier but it could be removed and have new oil seals fitted for £107 in parts and all three have been revised which says something

@Crasher Thanks - do you have any info on approx labour time to remove and replace seals?

Edited by juan27

Now almost convinced the bevel box was never leaking, apart from maybe from the vent on top, and that could have been years ago. The thing is a licence for garages to print money as far as I can see.

20230209130022195.jpg

Edited by juan27
  • Like 2

So I guess I should share what I think I've learnt.

Bevel Box (aka transfer box) if overfilled with oil will vent it out the top of the box and make a mess. If changing the oil it holds 0.9L This doesn't seem to be "fill til dribbling back out the filling hole". Use new fill/drain plugs. Oil is not the same stuff as the gearbox. 

Bevel box is a lot of money to replace, can be bought used, (part is shared with many other VW group models) but beware big labour costs if fitting a used part without knowing for sure it's good.

Don't let a main dealer near it unless it's covered by a warranty. 

Edited by juan27
  • Like 1