Rear caliper carrier

Hi all

I was wondering if it was possible to fit a new rear disc to my Fabia 3 Kombi without removing the caliper carrier/bracket?

I have a rounded out bolt which i csmt remove myself.

Cheers

Martin

I've never tried too hard to do that, some people say that you can force the old disc out while the carrier is still in place - but will you then be able to get the thicker new disc in?

From memory, and I had both front and rear calliper carriers off this year - rear ones to clean up and paint the carrier, the big problem is identifying which type of head is on these bolts, you will be able to find out what fits these bolts as VW Group claim that you do not reuse them, so you could check the heads on the new bolts. I managed to get these bolts off back in maybe August on an August 2015 Polo.

Edited by rum4mo
Spelling, again!

Getting the old disc off and the new one on with the carrier still attached is very possible with the smaller rear brake setup. I have had to do it plenty of times for the same reason the OP stated as their problem.

The carrier contact points for the pads are also just as easy to clean up as of you'd taken the carrier off too. You just have to be careful not to get brake grease on the new disc as you put it back in.

Ah, I agree that the carrier pad contact areas can easily be cleaned with the carrier still on the car - I clean the Polo brakes every year at wheel changing time, but, this time, as I had decided to properly scrub up the outer surface of the callipers and their carriers, I did feel the need to remove them completely and give them a coat of high temperature paint - the front carriers were already off as I was replacing both front hubs/bearings.

• 1 month later...
On 05/02/2023 at 22:47, rum4mo said:

I've never tried too hard to do that, some people say that you can force the old disc out while the carrier is still in place - but will you then be able to get the thicker new disc in?

From memory, and I had both front and rear calliper carriers off this year - rear ones to clean up and paint the carrier, the big problem is identifying which type of head is on these bolts, you will be able to find out what fits these bolts as VW Group claim that you do not reuse them, so you could check the heads on the new bolts. I managed to get these bolts off back in maybe August on an August 2015 Polo.

Is it just the two brake carrier screws with blue threadlock that are needed to be replaced? Those are said to be replaced once removed In the manual. It doesn't say to replace the 2 bigger regular head bolts holding the caliper to the hub. Those set at 200Nm.

I think I know what you mean about the head? One guy said a tool maybe a 6 piece star number 15 (YouTube video) but it was incorrect for mine unless it was a different model. 

The problem is it needs to be 35 Nm reset back in. And I needed to find 2 different adapters to fit a small piece to a larger torque wrench. 

There will or could be different advice for different versions of these brakes, your "info" shows a 2014 Oct VRS MK3, I was referring to a 2015 VW Polo where the carrier to hub are M10 bolts with recommended torque of 30Nm + 30deg according to erWin - and not 90Nm + 90deg according to Haynes. For info, the front carrier bolts which are M12 are torqued to 124Nm and can be reused.

I'd think that the "do not reuse" advice for the M8 calliper mounting bolts for the rear brakes is due to the fact that they come with blue Loctite coating on them so once fitted should not be reused (unless cleaned up and new blue Loctite applied to them - well that is what I do).

I seem to have maybe 3 torque wrenches to cover the range of torque settings, plus a torque screwdriver for other small screws/bolts.

Edited by rum4mo
should have written Loctite and not Hermatite!

6 hours ago, rum4mo said:

There will or could be different advice for different versions of these brakes, your "info" shows a 2014 Oct VRS MK3, I was referring to a 2015 VW Polo where the carrier to hub are M10 bolts with recommended torque of 30Nm + 30deg according to erWin - and not 90Nm + 90deg according to Haynes. For info, the front carrier bolts which are M12 are torqued to 124Nm and can be reused.

I'd think that the "do not reuse" advice for the M8 calliper mounting bolts for the rear brakes is due to the fact that they come with blue Loctite coating on them so once fitted should not be reused (unless cleaned up and new blue Loctite applied to them - well that is what I do).

I seem to have maybe 3 torque wrenches to cover the range of torque settings, plus a torque screwdriver for other small screws/bolts.

Yes mate, apologies I was just scouring a lot of threads for the information on applying these bolts back in general. 

What exactly does it mean to tighten by a certain degrees ( °)? ...

Just recently I've set the bolts connecting the brakes carrier caliper to the the hub at about 200Nm + some. 

And the replacing screws connecting the brake caliper to the brakes carrier caliper at 35Nm as per erwin. 

You initially torque the bolts up using a suitable torque wrench, then using something like a breaker bar, rotate ie turn these bolts through the additional angle, it can be helpful to mark the 0 degrees reference point on the bolt head and adjacent metalwork, then mark the "+Y degrees" on the adjacent metalwork, so that you can check when you have reached the defined/mandated extra angle.

Edit:- I have come across in the past, for a common bolt torque setting on a 2009 SEAT Ibiza was defined/mandated as being X Nm and no additional angular - but the same bolt (same part number) securing the same assembly was defined/mandated as being Y Nm and additional Z degrees, on  2015 VW Polo, obviously the Polo's "Y Nm" was a lot lower than the Ibiza's "X Nm" - a seriously lower value, in fact in that case, I contacted Haynes publishing to ask if these two different values and conditions for torquing were correct and they did confirm that they were, which for big multi marque company using common parts, did seem a bit strange.

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 1

Okay. I'm just going to say when I removed the 200Nm set bolts on my brakes carrier to the hub.. It did not feel all that tightly on in terms of the extra 180°

It was tight enough to put my whole body into the breaker bar to remove but didn't feel ridiculous.  

I'm sure that I came across that sort of value on my daughter's 2019 SEAT Leon Cupra, but in the event, I considered that it only needed new rear pads and the discs would be okay for use with these 2nd set of pads at a low mileage, so I didn't need to take the rear carrier bolts out.

Edit:- from memory, I would have been buying new bolts to replace the rear carrier mounting bolts if I had had to remove them as in my mind, tightening to these torques, then + an angle setting justifies doing that - as well as maybe the bolt head would have suffered from corrosion, so maybe not so easy to get off next time - that is all.

Actually as you mentioned it, that 2019 SEAT Leon Cupra rear carrier bolts were also 90Nm +90deg, and the front carrier bolts were 200Nm with new bolts required on re-assembly.

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 1