21 plate Octavia PHEV - "engine needs to run for longer" error

SeanyH

So the latest in a catalog of issues since i've had this Octavie PHEV estate is the following message in the centre console and where the speedo is :

"Engine needs to run for longer" along with a graphic of a car with an exclamation mark

The message pops up for around 6 or so seconds before it disappears for about 25 secs before it then returns, and so the pattern goes on and on and on.....etc

I've been on a 40 mile trip, vehicle left for 2.5 hours before a return 40 mile trip and the above error occurred on both journeys

Part of the outward trip was on electric but then the rest on petrol, but obviously alternating to electric when it could

I only had 35 miles left in the tank so have now filled up

Has anyone else experienced the above please and know what the issue and fix is ?

I'm really hoping that this is not ANOTHER trip to the garage.....they've had the car more days than i have and frankly, its becoming ridiculous !!!!!!!!

TIA

There are some issues for some with the Gateway that needs replacing IIRC, as it allows more 12V charging.  It might be a software update also needed at the same time.

The message is caused AFAIK from the 12V battery being depleted, and not getting a charge for a while, so it demands the engine be run a bit more for charging the 12V battery.

The health of the 12V battery might be comprimised now, and needs replacing because of the terrible charging, see if you can check it with a proper load test somewhere.

• Thanks 1

thanks for the replies

so i received the fatal "double pop" 12 months ago which killed the sat nav and the SOS, and needed a new head unit once finally diagnosed (took 3 trips to the dealership to resolve)

it had the battery 93O5 which was completed in November last year after much wrangling

unfortunately whilst doing the 93O5, the dealership rendered my sat nav useless so another drop off was needed to resolve the config

during this latest visit (mid Jan 2023), the latest and greatest software updates were applied by the dealership

a couple of weeks ago, i recall seeing further over the air software updates and these were applied weeks ago

the error only happened yesterday and so was the first time i'd seen it

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, varooom said:

There are some issues for some with the Gateway that needs replacing IIRC, as it allows more 12V charging.  It might be a software update also needed at the same time.

The message is caused AFAIK from the 12V battery being depleted, and not getting a charge for a while, so it demands the engine be run a bit more for charging the 12V battery.

The health of the 12V battery might be comprimised now, and needs replacing because of the terrible charging, see if you can check it with a proper load test somewhere.

Hi @varooom,

Do you know if a TPI has been created for this kind of issues?
I'm asking because this week my car went to dealer for the software updates (VC received ver5370 and MMI received ver1896), but they didn't want to upgrade the Gateway module (currently my car is running on software version 7099, and from what I can see in OBD11 the ver7300 seems to be available).

Even so, they changed the battery(prob due to my complains in regards to fast discarding in less then 3 days) , with the pretext it has been checked and a manufacture problem has been detected with it, but this not required software update.

Thank you

Edited by djmartzian

Can you supply more details on your gateway HW/SW (full strings)

There is a TPI for MMI & Gateway updates for Kamiq & Scala, so they both need updates, but this might also exist in a document that I don't have.

Now for Octavia PHEV there exists... Service measure 27J6 TPI: 2065641

That does reference a change in hardware for the Gateway for draining the 12V battery and battery monitor

"For Octavia A8 PHEV vehicles from a certain production period, due to the safety of the 12V
battery, the battery monitoring control unit must be replaced and the gateway control unit updated.
"

"Update the gateway control device to SW 7310 via measure code (SVM) 3774."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, varooom said:

Can you supply more details on your gateway HW/SW (full strings)

There is a TPI for MMI & Gateway updates for Kamiq & Scala, so they both need updates, but this might also exist in a document that I don't have.

Now for Octavia PHEV there exists... Service measure 27J6 TPI: 2065641

That does reference a change in hardware for the Gateway for draining the 12V battery and battery monitor

"For Octavia A8 PHEV vehicles from a certain production period, due to the safety of the 12V
battery, the battery monitoring control unit must be replaced and the gateway control unit updated.
"

"Update the gateway control device to SW 7310 via measure code (SVM) 3774."

@varooom - so do you think its the battery monitoring control unit that needs replacing then and the gateway control unit ?

If so, then my question is why all of a sudden this has happened ?

Could it be due to the cold weather over the last few days ? (-4 where i am) ?

If so, then not a great advert for a car that originates in the Czech Republic !

I fear that as soon as i get through to the service department, i'll be met with "Oooo, i've never heard of that fault before !" 😫

• Sad 1
  • Crying 1

@varooom,

Here they are:

Control unit: 19 Gateway
    System description: GW2020 High
    Software number: 5WA907530Q
    Software version: 7099
    Hardware number: 5WA907530G
    Hardware version: 756
    Serial number: 26016090202418131100
    ODX name: EV_GatewMQB2020
    ODX version: 005011

My car isn't PHEV, it's a Mild Hybrid type.

Br

1 hour ago, SeanyH said:

@varooom - so do you think its the battery monitoring control unit that needs replacing then and the gateway control unit ?

If so, then my question is why all of a sudden this has happened ?

Could it be due to the cold weather over the last few days ? (-4 where i am) ?

If so, then not a great advert for a car that originates in the Czech Republic !

I fear that as soon as i get through to the service department, i'll be met with "Oooo, i've never heard of that fault before !" 😫

Sadly I am not a mechanic, but I did make a read of the TPI documents I try and collect here and there.

The cold weather will indeed stress the battery, but also all of the bits that run in background take their toll.

All you can do with the service department is give them the symptoms and they should lookup TPI's and determine if they match what you are saying, and evidence is seen (in a poor battery)  The dealers hands are tied as they cannot do some repairs without authority from factory/importer.

For 7 Euro's you can lookup yourself on Skoda erWin and armed with your VIN in a text file ready to go, download workshop repair manuals/wiring diagrams and a PDF of all your build codes.  Then you can enter the section where you can lookup the TPI documents and download information as PDF's (you will need a PDF printer installed)  Do this yourself if you don't trust them to find the documents (experience in some dealers are poor)

1 hour ago, djmartzian said:

@varooom,

Here they are:

Control unit: 19 Gateway
    System description: GW2020 High
    Software number: 5WA907530Q
    Software version: 7099
    Hardware number: 5WA907530G
    Hardware version: 756
    Serial number: 26016090202418131100
    ODX name: EV_GatewMQB2020
    ODX version: 005011

My car isn't PHEV, it's a Mild Hybrid type.

Br

Exists these firmwares

FL_5WA907530Q_7099__V001_E.frf
FL_5WA907530Q_7099__V001_S.frf
FL_5WA907530Q_7300__V001_E.frf
FL_5WA907530Q_7300__V001_S.frf

As above, you may need to look at erWin Skoda yourself and locate any TPI documents you can for your issues, should you wish.

You may have had the update applied already to your car, as this line exists in the TPI document also...

"Update the gateway control device to SW 7099 via measure code (SVM) 3774."

Which is a match for your gateway firmware.

• Thanks 1

I just noticed that OAA2 download was available so i'm installing that to see if it makes any difference

additionally, i've spoken to the dealer who is going to speak with their "master technician" to see if they are aware and then advise on the next steps

• Like 1